Narrowed down camera selection, looking for comments/suggestions with lenses and NVR

fx72

n3wb
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my camera selection to the following 6:

• DS-2CD2532F-IS – 2.8mm for front door
  • DS-2CD2332-I – 4mm for driveway, 4mm (2.8mm?) for part of backyard, 4mm (2.8mm?) for deck
  • DS-2CD2032-I – 4mm (2.8mm?) for side yard and gate, 12mm for 10’x12’ shed @ 50 foot away

The bullet cams were chosen since the side of my house does not have any overhangs and I do not want to have a large arm sticking out. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments on the lens sizes?

I am also thinking about using my old PC (AMD Phenom II x4 965) with XProtect GO and save about $180 on an NVR (DS-7816N-E2 w/o PoE). The PC I have would not be able to run Blue Iris. Does anyone use XProtect GO with an older system? I would like to run most (if not all @ 3MP, ~15fps). Or would the NVR be better suited than the PC?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Narrowed down camera selection, looking for comments/suggestions with lenses and

XProtect GO would probably work fine, just be aware of its limitations (such as recordings being saved for only a few days). Blue Iris might also work on that system but I doubt you would get to use 15 FPS frame rates.

The 2032 isn't available with a 2.8mm lens. Otherwise your camera selections sound fine to me.

Here is an annotated view of all my cameras at home, showing the lens sizes. Not all of them are Hikvision, but the Hikvision models are the only ones I would recommend to anyone to actually buy.

fx72

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Narrowed down camera selection, looking for comments/suggestions with lenses and

bp2008, I have looked into what XProtect can and cant do. The 5 day limitation is ok for now. I can offload video that I want to keep before it gets wiped out. Using this software, I can get a sense of the way it works with my setup. If I need to get a NVR (or better PC to use BI) I will have some time to figure that out.

After going back to my notes, I see that 2032 only has 4, 6, and 12mm lens options. Too many camera specs to keep track of.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Sounds like a plan.

If you decide to get a new PC for Blue Iris, you can't do much better than a refurbished dell business desktop. The dell business outlet store often has coupon codes that let you save a LOT on refurbished systems with 3 year warranties. A friend of mine last week ordered an i7-4790 with 8 GB memory and a 128 GB SSD for $460 before tax. You can't come close to building an equivalent system for that little money.

fx72

n3wb
Reaction score

I placed my order for my cameras today.

DS-2CD2532F-IS - 2.8mm x 1
DS-2CD2332-I - 2.8mm x 1
DS-2CD2332-I - 4mm x 3
DS-2CD2332-I - 12mm x 1

The seller is sending it FedEx, so it should not take "forever" to get to me from China. The hardest part of ordering was to figure out which lenses to get. But I think these should work well for the areas they are going to cover.