My Phone Called 911

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, something did, not sure how. I have a Google Pixel 4a, and while re-pairing my watch with it this morning, I received a call from police dispatch. They received a hang up call from my phone number. I told them there was no way my phone called them, she then confirmed my location, that matched the location they received. Until she said that, I figured it was swatted. They just cancelled the call after confirming I was fine.

Strange.... I had my phone laying on the counter when this would have occurred. Not in my pocket, not in my hand. Laying on the counter getting it to repair with the watch.

On the notification panel it tells me "Emergency location accessed". "Your carrier accessed your location during a recent emergency session." However, my recent calls does not show a call to 911.

More big brother stuff? Something weird on the phone calling without a record?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, something did, not sure how. I have a Google Pixel 4a, and while re-pairing my watch with it this morning, I received a call from police dispatch. They received a hang up call from my phone number. I told them there was no way my phone called them, she then confirmed my location, that matched the location they received. Until she said that, I figured it was swatted. They just cancelled the call after confirming I was fine.

Strange.... I had my phone laying on the counter when this would have occurred. Not in my pocket, not in my hand. Laying on the counter getting it to repair with the watch.

On the notification panel it tells me "Emergency location accessed". "Your carrier accessed your location during a recent emergency session." However, my recent calls does not show a call to 911.

More big brother stuff? Something weird on the phone calling without a record?
That is weird. Keep a watchful eye out.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
If they did a SWAT call on you, you phone did not make the call.
They spoof your phone number and make the 911 call from another phone, like a VoIP phone.
The 911PSAP sees your phone number then they access your cell phone and get the location of it.
Then call you and see what's up.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they did a SWAT call on you, you phone did not make the call.
They spoof your phone number and make the 911 call from another phone, like a VoIP phone.
The 911PSAP sees your phone number then they access your cell phone and get the location of it.
Then call you and see what's up.
So you are saying that if the call was spoofed, 911 dispatch would access my location after the call was connected, and they would get my location. That information is not sent to 911 automatically when the call is connected?

Because I checked my online VZW record, and no call to 911 was placed. I see other calls, including dispatch calling me. So it does appear that the call did not come from my phone or VZW through my number.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt it.
Yes, public safety has the option to "ping" a cell phone and see where it is at.
Most 911 calls will gather the information while the call in going on.
It depends a lot on what equipment the public safety center has and how trained the people are.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt it.
Yes, public safety has the option to "ping" a cell phone and see where it is at.
It depends a lot on what equipment the public safety center has and how trained the people are.
She told me where I was. Given the street I am on is a whopping 500 feet long, so she got it pretty accurately. There is now way a tower ping would have put me on that street.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
And if you are in a 5g area even closer.
They can take the direction and the delay for the signal to get to your phone and back again,
then figure out the distance from each of the tower sites that can hear your phone.
(Radio waves travel at the speed of light)

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Between triangulation and GPS on the phone, some of those systems can get fairly close if they have newer technology that can pull from that.
And if you are in a 5g area even closer.
They can take the direction and the delay for the signal to get to your phone and back again,
then figure out the distance from each of the tower sites that can hear your phone.
(Radio waves travel at the speed of light)
In this case, given my location, I was closer to another, much larger road. Dispatch had to fix my location, look at a map, and figure which parcel I was on to put my on the street they did because that is the address of the house. :wow: Which is good! But, we are not in a 5G area, this is a small town and we are in a valley.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Even the older systems use the time of arrival (delay of signal) to all of the tower sites that
can hear your phone, along with your GPS built into the cell phone.

The older system was usually within 40' without using the GPS.

If the Dispatch center has a newer system, it will do it all for her.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe related to this app?
It looks like this takes it a little farther by adding your closest contacts in the loop.
Most newer vehicles that attach to your cell phone will call 911 when your air bags go off also.

My Acura has a link even without my cell phone. Friend hit a deer and next thing he knows 911 is answering and asking
if he is alright, or needs an ambulance.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting app, never knew of that @looney2ns. It is installed, but doesn't show up in the app drawer. I'll need to look into it further. FYI, when I went to the Android Play Store, opened the app, I shared the location with my wife, who is on Apple iPhone. It went to her Google Maps app, just from me sharing my emergency location with her. Confused, but I'll try to figure that out.

@tigerwillow1 , No grandkids around. When this happened. I was actually using the phone, attempting to repair my smart watch when the return call from 911 dispatch came in.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting app, never knew of that @looney2ns. It is installed, but doesn't show up in the app drawer. I'll need to look into it further. FYI, when I went to the Android Play Store, opened the app, I shared the location with my wife, who is on Apple iPhone. It went to her Google Maps app, just from me sharing my emergency location with her. Confused, but I'll try to figure that out.

@tigerwillow1 , No grandkids around. When this happened. I was actually using the phone, attempting to repair my smart watch when the return call from 911 dispatch came in.
Note: Even if the app is installed, the app icon may be hidden on Pixel 1, 2, 3, or 3a devices until added via Settings. Learn more: g.co/pixel/personalsafety#safety_app

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt it.
Not only can "Some" 911 centers ping but actually get the IP address and Mac of the phone that made the called.