My foray into LPR

Reaction score
Man I’m jazzed!!! As some of you may have read, I’ve been saying in other threads that my first Z12E is coming. So I got it and popped it up on a wood fixture yesterday and was grabbing plates in no time! Daytime is easy, of course. But night fell upon me and I was lost in a black fog.

So I jumped in the forum and grabbed @samplenhold’s settings and voila! I was in the game!!! Thanks for that, I never coulda done it on my own. I did fine-tweak my zoom and focus after, but damn I was nailing plates already!

During my early testing, I grabbed a spare plate and started walking it through the choke point to try and confirm that it wasn’t inadequate IR or excessive angle causing my trouble. In fact, I’m over 45 degrees and still capturing clearly. I’ve attached a number of shots from my various tests. I live one house away from a corner, and based on my tests, you’d have to dang near be on two wheels to be doing more than about 25 without screeching tires, or going into the turn way hot. So I think 25-ish is pretty representative of most cars coming either way on my fairly quiet street. I’m stoked to say the least. Unfortunately, I had to pull it down since it was just a temporary hang, so I’m not capturing anything at the moment. I’m gonna start fabbing some wood bracketry to attach it all to the eave tonight.

I just ordered another one directly from Andy, cuz a couple of cars with no front plates and blacked-out windows have already passed.

So, the main impetus for my post is, if a beginner like me can do it, I encourage anyone who wants to venture into LPR to jump in. As you can see there are several users here offering up their settings and support to get you started, and once you start, you can’t stop!

Angle and Distance Test.jpg

Test 1.jpg

Test 2.jpg

Test 3.jpg

Test 4.jpgTest 5.jpgTest 6.jpg1st Cap.jpg2nd Cap.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome!

My LPR has got a lot of my neighbors stolen stuff back (would be nice if they donated to the cause LOL), but I know the feeling you are experiencing right now. I was shocked and giddy as you with my first Z12E and getting plates at night thanks to the folks on this forum. Part of the reason why I continue to give back.

Reaction score
I wanted to add a couple things I learned...the older 1960's plates (yellow letters on black) and 1970-80's plates (yellow letters on blue) do NOT show up. I think we need the reflective for this all to work.

Also, on trucks or vehicles with bumpers where the plate is inset, it can get cropped off by the bumper at extreme angles, as evidenced by my truck shots. But I will have to live with this in order to keep the cam up under the eave.

Reaction score
Awesome!

My LPR has got a lot of my neighbors stolen stuff back (would be nice if they donated to the cause LOL), but I know the feeling you are experiencing right now. I was shocked and giddy as you with my first Z12E and getting plates at night thanks to the folks on this forum. Part of the reason why I continue to give back.
Indeed! You know the feeling. I'm just getting my feet wet, but you all know how appreciative us newbs are ;)

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanted to add a couple things I learned...the older 1960's plates (yellow letters on black) and 1970-80's plates (yellow letters on blue) do NOT show up. I think we need the reflective for this all to work.

Also, on trucks or vehicles with bumpers where the plate is inset, it can get cropped off by the bumper at extreme angles, as evidenced by my truck shots. But I will have to live with this in order to keep the cam up under the eave.
Now, how do I get 1960's plates for all my cars so I can drive the turnpike for free ;):):cool::p:D
Yep, it's all about the IR being reflected.

Reaction score
Glad my settings helped you out.

If you have not seen them, here are a few of my threads on LPR: