My DS-2CD2532F-IS setup and question about horizontal angle of view

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to hear recommendations about my current front door setup (photos attached).

I mounted it to the soffit above my front door. I love the picture quality but a little disappointed with the horizontal, but even more with the vertical angle of view.
I was hoping to cover more field of view. This might also be due to the mounting position (though I am reluctant to change it at this point).

Any idea/suggestion if I can somehow make the angle of view wider (vertical and/or horizontal)?

Do you know of any other ceiling mount cameras in the less than $200 price range that can provide a wider angle (even if fish-eye) that I can mount where my DS-2CD2532F-IS is currently mounted?

Thanks!
Palmpilot

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Palmpilot With the hikvision you will get more vertical FOV if you change it to 3mp instead of the current 1080p recording mode..you will lose a bit of horizontal.
The only way you are getting a wider fov is by going with a 2.8mm lens or a fisheye camera...
This can all be resolved if you are willing to move the camera...the position its in now is not ideal for capturing face shots...

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman, Thank you! My DS-2CD2532F-IS is a 2.8mm one so I guess this is the best it gets with the current position. I will try the 3mp recommendation.
What would you recommend as an ideal/better position (it pains me to deal with the damaged soffit but it might be worth it to find a creative way to re-position the camera)?

You mentioned fisheye, do you know of any fisheye camera that I can use?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman, Thank you! My DS-2CD2532F-IS is a 2.8mm one so I guess this is the best it gets with the current position. I will try the 3mp recommendation.
What would you recommend as an ideal/better position (it pains me to deal with the damaged soffit but it might be worth it to find a creative way to re-position the camera)?

You mentioned fisheye, do you know of any fisheye camera that I can use?

Thanks!
The problem with fisheye is that you would still likely have to move the camera and its not supported by blue iris which i see you use...your camera is fine...
I would move it to the left of the porch light....here is how to make sure you mount it correctly...
It helps if you have someone assisting you..
Before securing the camera take the cover off and loosen the lens a bit so you can move it..
using a long ethernet cord connect to your switch and use your cell phone/tablet/laptop to view or better yet, if you have a laptop, take your switch outside and plug the laptop and camera into the switch..you will need to set the laptops ipv4 address to match the cameras subnet
Now place the camera where it would be mounted and see if you get the desired image...
Note you might want to also run a test at night so that you see what effect that porch light will have on the camera...if too close it may cause glare or cause the camera to stay in day mode (that may not be bad if you have enough lighting)