Multiple Camera Copies Different Alerts

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have several cameras I would like to have multiple levels of alerts on. Using BI only alerts, this is simple, with different zones. However, if I use camera AI, or DeepStack, I gather I need to duplicate the camera in BI, and setup separate alerts in that. I've tried it several times, with no luck. I want the AI of either the camera or DS to minimize false alerts. I've tried AI on the main camera, then DS on the copy, and every time the copy camera doesn't send alerts. Today one of my cameras that was setup that way, both cameras stopped sending me alerts.

So, frustrated, I deleted the copy, rebooted, and the original started working.

Is there a trick to getting the copy to send alerts based on its settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you did a duplicate, did you make one the clone master and the other not and then the clone had an * by the name?

But I have found this issue as well even when everything is set up correctly. Worked in 5.4.6.3 and when I would update beyond that, it would quit working.

I think with the addition of DeepStack, there is some sequencing differences going on that is messing with some things. I have noticed a few that I sent to BI that they confirmed it was an issue that didn't present itself until a newer version. This could be one such instance.

Some of my clones work just like always, and a few others I had to add it as it's own camera but just used the substream to keep the MP down to pull the camera AI or do DeepStack on it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a number of clones for specific purposes. They were all created prior to 5.5.x.x so I'll have to try creating one again in 5.5.1.6. I have found that on a system restart with the newer updates I need to restart the cameras to get them to display alerts when I select the master or even on th clip list, they are all hidden. Other than that hey work fine for BI motion and DeepStack.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you did a duplicate, did you make one the clone master and the other not and then the clone had an * by the name?

But I have found this issue as well even when everything is set up correctly. Worked in 5.4.6.3 and when I would update beyond that, it would quit working.

I think with the addition of DeepStack, there is some sequencing differences going on that is messing with some things. I have noticed a few that I sent to BI that they confirmed it was an issue that didn't present itself until a newer version. This could be one such instance.

Some of my clones work just like always, and a few others I had to add it as it's own camera but just used the substream to keep the MP down to pull the camera AI or do DeepStack on it.
Nope. I missed that. I'll try that in proper baby steps.

@sebastiantombs I restart cameras as my first step in troubleshooting. Too many years with Windows, where the first thing to try is a reboot. :rofl:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found a restart doesn't do the trick and it takes manually restarting the clones to get them to show alerts along with the master.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've found a restart doesn't do the trick and it takes manually restarting the clones to get them to show alerts along with the master.
I found that out thankfully when I was trying to use the NVIDIA GPU to offload some of the video and BI was having a mess with the hidden cameras. That was one I found out that the issue you were having as well. Some sequencing is off in the updates.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I created a clone and it didn't detect squat in .6. Restarted and noticed I couldn't display the clips of a single camera. Rebooted, restarted the clone cameras and the same thing. Updated to .7 and it blew up big time! Constant crashes. Rebooted, twice and finally got into the console. CPU was spiking to 100% constantly but I managed to get back down to 5.4.9.18 and still had to rebuild the database to get the clips to display. Of course that meant the display was all screwed up so more time re-arranging, but at least it's just drag and drop in 5.4.18. Maybe I'll move back up into the 5.5.1.x series tomorrow when I have more time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Some resolution after I posted that, and it was user error. I always keep the "single camera" button "on" so when I click on a camera just the alerts for that camera are displayed in the alerts column. Upgrading to .7 reset it and I didn't notice that. Previously all upgrades held all previous settings as far as I can remember.

On the other hand, the spiking CPU, and memory utilization was also spiking, with constant service crashes was a pretty serious problem. I'll bring it back up to 5.5.1.6 later today when I find some time.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, what the *^% have I done now. I deleted the camera from BI, re-added it from scratch. Created a push notification to my Android phone with the BI app. Here are screenshots of the alert setup screens.

alertconfigss.png

actionsetss.png

When I hit the lightning bolt I get the above setup. Hitting OK gives me a pop up that says "Test completed" and no alert is pushed. Using another camera, where the configuration screens look the same, I get "Push OK to ***"

Argghh!!

Any ideas? I went back to 5.4.6.3, and it hasn't helped. I deleted and re-added the camera on 5.4.6.3.

Edit: BI is recording alerts, just not forwarding alerts to the phone app for this camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you tried the ole reboot the computer trick LOL.

I have noticed so many wacky things with alerts since DS was introduced. I now test every camera after an update.

And the fix isn't always the same either.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assume you tried the ole reboot the computer trick LOL.

I have noticed so many wacky things with alerts since DS was introduced. I now test every camera after an update.

And the fix isn't always the same either.
Yep, rebooted, deleted camera, manually added it back. tried different settings, everything I can think of. No joy. Not running DS on this camera, I guess I should try that! I'll be back!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OH - one of the things I have found works (sometimes LOL), is on the cameras that you are not using DS, add the alert to the Motion Trigger under immediate actions.

Based on my observations, I think there is some sequencing issue once DS was introduced and I think it is cancelling out some of the alerts in the actual Alerts tab.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It appears, on my system, I cannot add new alerts. I can, however, copy a camera which has alerts working to create a "new" camera, and the alerts then work. I tired on three cameras to add alerts and test them, didn't work. I did the copy thing, which I was specifically avoiding due to prior issues copying cameras. Right now I'm tired, but glad its working!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you put in a ticket request to BI.

I have when I have come across stuff and they seem to get it worked out the next update.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Spent hours on this damned thing. HOURS!!

And yes, it was user error. When I first got into push alerts, it was because text messages were being delayed, sometimes by minutes, or hours. When I setup the mobile device, I failed to put anything under TAG. I use the same initials for description and tag, never realizing that the tag box was empty under mobile device setup. So, when I added an alert, I dutifully entered a mobile device tag. And the push would fail, without an error, due to no matching device.

I FINALLY figured it out. I'll try tomorrow with the cloned cameras.

Thanks for the help!!