MQTT to HA when HA is in Hyper-V

iansiot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having some trouble with this. I have W11 pro machine running HA in Hyper V, and BI on the same machine. When i first set it up i could get the blue iris MQTT to talk to the HA broker (mosquito). I then discovered i couldn't access the web server of HA from another machine on my network; i had to change the virtual switch in Hyper-V from the default switch (Internal) to a new switch which is 'external - connected to the Intel Eternet connection'.

After that i could successfully get onto HA via the web server, but it broke the MQTT link and i'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. I'm thinking maybe a firewall issue? All thoughts welcome!

Ian.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@iansiot Easiest if both VMs are on same subnet.

Example: BI VM on 192.168.1.8 while HA on 192.168.1.11. The subnet in this case is 192.168.1.x.

You haven't shared your IP addresses above...

Double check your MQTT port is still 1883

Related, you can try to use MQTT Explorer to independently check if MQTT broker is healthy before hooking BI to MQTT

iansiot

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just figured it out - i didn't restart HA in Hyper V after changing the switch. Once i did that it picked up an IP on the correct subnet and we are now back up and running. I will look at Explorer - i just had a quick glance at the link and it looks useful, thanks! Appreciate the input.