Moving BI to Intel 4460 PC

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At the moment I am running BI on an i3 8100 with 16GB of RAM and for my usage it is perfectly fine, but I use the system for other things as well and was thinking of setting up a detected BI box. I am in the process of building a high end gaming PC for a friend and they have no use for the old system which is a Intel 4460 with 8GB RAM, storage etc isn't a problem.

I was thinking of taking the system for a detected BI box, but my concern is my cameras all use h265 which as I understand is not supported on Intel 4th gen. At the moment I have 5 cams right now but will not go above 8 for sure. I am not using any BI motion features or AI as of yet, but if the system allows it then would be interested in looking into it in the future.

I was thinking bumping the ram up to 16GB as that cost is minimal but overall would you recommend this move or have other suggestions?

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I've read that thread, my concern was mostly loosing the H265 encoder.

Reaction score
I believe...losing H265 means you lose storage capacity. Is it 25% larger files? 50%? I forget. Instead a a month long of alerts & recordings, you could be knocked down to a week. Such a scenario would matter if you have a smaller HD such as 1 or 2TB.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The savings of H265 over H264 in storage space is very dependent on conditions. If there's a lot of random motion, say trees/shrubs moving in the breeze, the savings may be as low as 5%. If there's is little to no motion space savings may be as high as 20-25%.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can still use H265 with a 4th generation, you just cannot use the integrated GPU.

But with the substreams available now, it takes away a big reason for needing to offload to the GPU.

I saw literally a few minutes difference between H265 and H264, and since I thought H264 looked better, I run with H264 on most of my cameras. But I do have a few that respond better to H265. Works fine on a 4th generation, I just cannot use GPU for those cameras.

If you follow every optimization in the wiki, you will be fine. A member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can still use H265 with a 4th generation, you just cannot use the integrated GPU.

But with the substreams available now, it takes away a big reason for needing to offload to the GPU.

I saw literally a few minutes difference between H265 and H264, and since I thought H264 looked better, I run with H264 on most of my cameras. But I do have a few that respond better to H265. Works fine on a 4th generation, I just cannot use GPU for those cameras.

If you follow every optimization in the wiki, you will be fine. A member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU.

This is good to know that h265 will work with just CPU and yeah substream has been very good even on my current i3.

I'm not to concerned on storage space, currently have a 2TB drive, but have a spare 1TB so was thinking of adding using it for archive to keep longer footage.