Motion Trails and Artifacts

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All;

For quite awhile now, I've been having issues with visible compression artifacts or trails on motion on my cameras, as seen below.

Capture.PNG

I've seen lots of threads on this type of issue, but I've never been able to find any solid solution. I've been working on the issue today changing all sorts of settings in BI 5 and on my Dahua cameras and I think I may have finally solved it. If anyone else has suffered from this issue, maybe it'll solve it for you too?

The source of the issue for me seems to have been the data rate that I've set for my video streams on the camera. I've always had them set at the highest allowable levels at a CBR. (I'm running a main stream and a sub stream, with H264H FWIW)

I reduced the bitrate slightly on one or both of the streams, and the issue has disappeared for me. I no longer see any motion trail artifacts.

My theory is that the camera couldn't handle outputting the data at the specified rate and was probably dropping or skipping frames somehow.

If you have this issue and are able to try this, let me know if it works for you.

Cheers