Motion Detection zone sensitivity

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Guys

Still working my way round this software - just wondering if there was a way to make motion detection zones more / less sensitive.

example - i have a camera covering some of the front of our property - the left side covers the whole front (in a strip) of the neighbours property - with their consent but due to the distance I could do with a motion zone in this 'strip' where I can reduce the object size to detect any movement. At the moment I believe the size is based on pixels or proportion of the whole frame, where as I would like a zone by zone setting - this way I can draw a detection zone and make the object trigger smaller.

hopefully that makes sense and can be done currently!

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At this tome the only way to do it its to clone the camera ...then hide the clone...blue iris will only pull a single stream and cpu consumption should not change...

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah ok.. makes sense I guess - you just duplicate the camera and then set it up differently.

Thanks Fenderman i'll give it a go.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At this tome the only way to do it its to clone the camera ...then hide the clone...blue iris will only pull a single stream and cpu consumption should not change...
Is this true now days? When I did this years ago for the front door area (one camera to send e-mail alert on person at porch, cloned camera to handle recording for rest of scene), the CPU usage difference was the same as adding another camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this true now days? When I did this years ago for the front door area (one camera to send e-mail alert on person at porch, cloned camera to handle recording for rest of scene), the CPU usage difference was the same as adding another camera.
Yes, if you hide the second camera from the display (though I havent tried with and without)...the hide camera function was likely not available then...

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, if you hide the second camera from the display (though I havent tried with and without)...the hide camera function was likely not available then...
I hid the second camera - that wasn't the issue. I may have to try this again. I've been waiting for a feature update that I've been told is coming, rather than clone the cameras due to my past experience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hid the second camera - that wasn't the issue. I may have to try this again. I've been waiting for a feature update that I've been told is coming, rather than clone the cameras due to my past experience.
I know for a fact that it works without adding any overhead...

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate to contradict you Fenderman but on MY system a clone camera adds about 7% cpu when maximised and about 5% minimised... hardware decoding may make a difference on other systems. Still wish it was the 6% of ivms but then.. I wish ivms had all the stuff of BI :)

I can easily disable / enable it though so no biggie.

Maybe time to look at a skylake NUC

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you hide the camera in the general tab? Are you pulling the same stream..
Even without hiding them there is no perceptible cpu difference..I just tested this again to confirm..I cloned a 3mp dahua camera twice (with all 3 displaying) no difference. When you open the status monitor you should see all cams but the clones will show 0 for the bitrate.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah its strange - I did say specifically "my system" :)

Bit rate is zero but there is a definite overhead even when hidden. Maybe its the motion detection - but that seems high for a small side slither of detection on the frame.

I assume you have hardware acceleration - maybe that is the difference?

Just rehid the camera making sure it wasnt hidden cameras were not displayed - that seems to give a 4% ish change too - so maybe that was some of it - when displayed it has an overhead on my specific system.

Oh well.. at least its working and 30% overhead is liveable for now - just need nvidia decoding now - then i'll be sorted!

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it has nothing to do with HA...I have been doing this well before HA was available...

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried it. Added two copies of the front door camera. Setup motion detection settings, disabled all video recording. Hid the two cloned cameras. 5% higher CPU usage. Select "show hidden cameras" and CPU usage doesn't change. Disabled the two cloned cameras. CPU usage drops back down 5%.

I've never seen different behavior. They are consuming the same CPU time as adding two separate cameras.

Edit:
Added 7 cloned cameras. Went from 13 real cameras to 20 tota,l cameras. CPU usage is up 15% with the cameras hidden. Disable them, back down 15%.

BI interface open, normal 13 cameras - 27% CPU usage
BI interface open, camera cloned 7 times, no recording, motion detection enabled on each, 7 cams hidden - 42% CPU usage.

BI interface closed, normal 13 cameras - 7% CPU usage
BI interface closed, camera cloned 7 times, no recording, motion detection enabled on each, 7 cams hidden - 14% CPU usage.

Opened BI and re-enabled all the cloned cameras, and re-hide them:
BI interface open, normal 13 cameras - 27% CPU usage
BI interface open, camera cloned 7 times, no recording, motion detection enabled on each, 7 cams hidden - 43% CPU usage.

Last edited by a moderator: