Most likely cause of random missing video files? and other issues....

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm ready to burn and pave this thing, but wanted to ask first because I suspect maybe my storage drive is crapping out, but not sure. system specs: core i5 4590 , 8 gig ram, windows 10, 4 cameras total 4tb hdd , 120 gb ssd.

Blue iris is really laggy, for instance when I go to open a video file it takes about 15 seconds to open, and then if I want to jump around in that particular file its very laggy to go to the next time stamp I clicked etc.

on one camera there are large portions of the day where the files are just totally gone. I have it set to record 24/7 on all cameras. there is no schedule or profiles etc - just record 24/7 - not sure why its just that camera thats missing files.

does this sound like a storage drive on its last legs? the system is basically useless. everything else in windows runs fine, its just BI which is all that uses the HDD, everything windows runs on the SSD so kind of makes sense the storage drive is possibly hooped.

thanks for any insight.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm ready to burn and pave this thing, but wanted to ask first because I suspect maybe my storage drive is crapping out, but not sure. system specs: core i5 4590 , 8 gig ram, windows 10, 4 cameras total 4tb hdd , 120 gb ssd.

Blue iris is really laggy, for instance when I go to open a video file it takes about 15 seconds to open, and then if I want to jump around in that particular file its very laggy to go to the next time stamp I clicked etc.

on one camera there are large portions of the day where the files are just totally gone. I have it set to record 24/7 on all cameras. there is no schedule or profiles etc - just record 24/7 - not sure why its just that camera thats missing files.

does this sound like a storage drive on its last legs? the system is basically useless. everything else in windows runs fine, its just BI which is all that uses the HDD, everything windows runs on the SSD so kind of makes sense the storage drive is possibly hooped.

thanks for any insight.
This is easy to test. Put the video on the ssd and try to play it...

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
good idea @fenderman . I assigned the storage location to the SSD, and did some test triggers walking across the yard etc. same thing, laggy plaback/ jumping around. it also has tearing of the moving object. ram usage is low ( total system useage 1.03 GB - CPU at about 25%. )

the rest of the PC is fine, its just playback, and just general sketchy recording/BI lag. its has to be some other setting, or something misconfigured. I recently updated BI to try and fix this, and it didn't. it obviously kept all the old settings, or whatever is causing the problem and carried it forward.

sort of feeling as if a windows reinstall and BI reinstall may be easier then trying to hunt down whatever is causing this.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman if I recall correctly , I read at one time that lowering the resolution of the monitoring feeds, but leaving the actual recorded files at full resolution would help with CPU usage. I did that a good while back, and it did lower the CPU useage, but I think that's when the problems began.

could you see that casuing any issues?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman if I recall correctly , I read at one time that lowering the resolution of the monitoring feeds, but leaving the actual recorded files at full resolution would help with CPU usage. I did that a good while back, and it did lower the CPU useage, but I think that's when the problems began.

could you see that casuing any issues?
Post your camera video settings from the cameras web interface. In blue iris ensure you are recording direct to disk and that you have not selected "limit decoding".

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Post your camera video settings from the cameras web interface. In blue iris ensure you are recording direct to disk and that you have not selected "limit decoding".
I am recording direct to disk. where is the "limit decoding" setting?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks guys. I have made both H264. and turned smart codec OFF. there is still i frame interval settings in both streams....ignore them?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make them match the FPS, so FPS and iframe should both be 15 in main and sub.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks guys. pretty sure the smart codec was the culprit. BI seems to be much more responsive now @fenderman thank you.

on a side note, is it ok to delete all the files in the db folder to start from scratch?