Mixing Cat5 and Cat6?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So just got into my new house and have been tracing the network cabling that was installed by the builder.

Purchase a Cat6 Trendnet 24 port patch panel and was going to punch cables.

However, as I was tracing I noticed the builder used 8 Cat5 cables instead of all Cat6. I will be going back to complain loudly.

However, in the mean time and given it will likely be painful and messy for the electrician of the builder to come back and rewire the cabling with Cat6 (not to mention potentially not possible as I doubt it will easily be pulled back to the home run location given the number of walls), I'm wondering how big an issue this is?

Essentially:

1. Can I still use the patch panel and mix both cat5 and cat6 on it
2. What kind of data/speed loss am I looking at. The locations where they used cat 5 are in the family room (TV, hometheater), and the rest I believe were all for outdoor security cameras (3mp ip based).
3. There may be situations where cameras are attached to cat5 and others to cat6 (can't recall if all outside locations were cat5 or some were in fact cat6). Will this be an issue?

Another item to go in my 30 day deficiency list.

Tx

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. yes.
2. none, cat 5 will do gigabit, cameras are likely only fast ethernet (100mbps)
3. no.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't it frustrating dealing with contractors!?

Anyway, the cables are all compatible with each other. The difference is quality. If what you got is actually cat5e then you are probably fine. Annoying, yes, if you asked for Cat6, but not the end of the world.

"Cat5" is actually an older spec that is rarely seen anymore and may not be capable of gigabit speed for long runs. If that is what you got then you have every right to complain.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ask-lh-whats-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cables/

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, pretty sure it was Cat5E.

Someone was mentioning to me that Cat5E cables may not fit as snug into a Cat6 patch panel, but it didn't look to me like there was a gauge difference. Strangely, the only difference seemed to be the plastic insert in the Cat6 cables vs the "white thread" or whatever it is in the Cat6.

I'm still going to complain though. Loudly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I do most of my ethernet wiring with Ubiquiti ToughCable Carrier, which is really high end Cat5e. Shielded, has the crosstalk divider, and everything.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have CAT5e cables run at over 500 feet and they will still connect fine at a full gigabit with zero lost packets. They are used mostly for long IP camera runs and still no issues of any type at close to double the max length according to spec. You are fine, yes they ran the wrong wire but it will not cause you problems and it is likely a minimal cost difference too. I'd still be annoyed like you are, but it is not a monster deal.

Reaction score
Did you pay for all cat6 or did you only charge you for what they used on each run? Depending on when you had this work done, the could have been a pretty big difference in cost for materials.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you pay for all cat6 or did you only charge you for what they used on each run? Depending on when you had this work done, the could have been a pretty big difference in cost for materials.
This thread died 6 months ago with resolution... Might want to keep to more current posts - just a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: