Miscellaneous Critter Captures

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
After seeing the old thread by @Bradmph ....

(dont forget to change youtube player to 1080p)

Bats!

Hawk

Gator Huntin

Late for Dinner

Bunny Stare Down

Bandits

Whadda ya gotta do to get waited on around here?

Neighborhood Bully

Checkin out the new Jeep

Owl on the prowl

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I liked the bunny video. I've noticed a couple of other animals that seem to stare at the IR light of the cameras. I've got some captures of deer and cats just staring right at the light of the camera. I wonder if they think it might be another animal they are staring at. The bunny seemed to think so.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Coyotes pass through my yard at night. Here's clips where a coyote, with emptty mouth, entered my backyard, and 3 minutes later, left with a meal in his mouth. Coyote makes a kill in the backyard - YouTube

One cam, aimed at the driveway, is far enough & high enough to not concern coyotes. When the Yotes left that FOV, and headed into my backyard, I couldn't see where they went. Two routes were likely. So I put a cam on a table, right between the two likely routes. Video showed they didn't follow either of the two routes. So I moved the camera closer to the driveway.
I found the coyotes gave the cam a very wide berth, and seemed to keep an eye on the cam. And now, after moving the table & cam, they returned to the two routes I had suspected they used. Then I moved the table & cam, a 3rd time, to be closer to the path. Then the yotes walked a very different route.
My conclusion: The glow of the cam affected which route they took. The glowing IR cam was given a wide berth.
Coyotes are smart and cautious.
They're not startled when they trip my motion sensor driveway lights. They show no alarm at being suddenly lit up by floodlights. They're used to living amongst humans here in Seattle.

I initially figured IR lighting wouldn't phase them. I was wrong. Their behavior with IR LEDs close to them indicates they see IR very clearly.
1) It's not common White light, from Humans, which they've learned to ignore
2) It's IR light, uncommon in their human habitat, and they definitely pay attention.

I'm still considering getting some 940nm IR light sources, and placing them away from the camera. Then disable the 880nm IR LEDs in the cam, and place the cam near their path to get nighttime "Money Shots". I suspect Looney2ns sent them some ipcamtalk.com hats.

My Q: Will 940nm LEDs be as visible as 880nm LEDs to coyotes?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I liked the bunny video. I've noticed a couple of other animals that seem to stare at the IR light of the cameras. I've got some captures of deer and cats just staring right at the light of the camera. I wonder if they think it might be another animal they are staring at. The bunny seemed to think so.
Yeah I think they do see the IR somewhat anyway. I see various critters seem to look straight at it and do a double take..