Malware in EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T webplugin.exe

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is why we recommend DO NOT LET YOUR CAMERAS OR NVR TOUCH THE INTERNET. You isolate them via VLAN or dual NIC.
I wrote earlier that having cameras on a VLAN does not solve or reduce the threat potential of allowing a plugin to infect a PC. They are completely different.

And, for Teken's post, I do have a hole in my network security. Someone could smash one of my exterior cameras, and plug a laptop into the ethernet cable. How does that, in any way, relate to whether a plugin attempting to modify my PC is safe to execute or not?

I appreciate participating in this forum and learned some things. But, as many can see, my concerns over network security differ from the assurances presented by others. I am very much out of step compared to other comments posted. No worries- I will cease poking the beast .... :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wrote earlier that having cameras on a VLAN does not solve or reduce the threat potential of allowing a plugin to infect a PC. They are completely different.

And, for Teken's post, I do have a hole in my network security. Someone could smash one of my exterior cameras, and plug a laptop into the ethernet cable. How does that, in any way, relate to whether a plugin attempting to modify my PC is safe to execute or not?

I appreciate participating in this forum and learned some things. But, as many can see, my concerns over network security differ from the assurances presented by others. I am very much out of step compared to other comments posted. No worries- I will cease poking the beast .... :)
Please keep poking LOL. It is the only way we all learn and grow.

You gotta remember, there are a bunch of us that are paranoid and run so many programs and sniffers and other things to keep our system safe. If someone saw these plug-ins doing something nefarious, we would see posts about it. But even without that, we still want to mitigate the risk for the just in case.

And I don't think Teken meant physical access to your gear. So EVERY app that you have installed on your phone goes thru the same scrutiny? Just because it is in the playstore doesn't make it safe. Are you using the computer you access the camera with for other things? Is your mobile device on the same network as the rest of your system that you do banking on? Do you have any IoTs like an Alexa, thermostat, etc.?

So in your mind having a camera without a plugin on a VLAN solves and reduces the threat of infecting your PC?

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

If you take the time to search all of the (Best Practices) as it relates to infrastructure and network security.

You would have quickly found out that port security management is one of several methods and solutions used to restrict, detect, deny, and track a physical Ethernet port from being used.

As you stated and asked what would happen if someone was able to remove a camera and plug in their own device whether it be a compromised video camera or a computer / network device?!?

To the attacker - nothing . . .

Their device would not be allowed on the network and the port would be summarily disabled.

From the security administration team lots of things would happen and be known the instant the camera was disconnected.

They would know immediately the device was tampered with and disconnected. Followed by your scenario of a new (unknown) device was on the network.

How???

All of the security elements I stated up above and many more not listed for brevity.

As it relates to the (Plugin) I’ll ask you to read my reply as it relates to how and why. There isn’t anything I have stated that can’t be done in a properly setup network.

It simply requires time, resources, and finances to make it so. Keeping in mind if we just ignore all the fancy software elements I have stated.

How would Bob achieve the same on a shoestring budget???

• Separate, dedicated computer
  • Isolated physical network from the main
  • No physical Internet access / wireless

A person can literally buy a $20 router, $45 POEswitch, $50 computer and have an isolated and dedicated video security system. If their means are higher than they can buy whatever their hearts desires!

It doesn’t matter what potential virus / malware is present. It can’t infect, communicate, or impact anything else.

It’s literally impossible . . .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've lost count of the number of programs I've written and compiled myself that are flagged some of the dumber by antivirus.
My point exactly!!! Just because antivirus flags it, doesn't mean it is a virus.

Until the little program you wrote is used by 20 million people, it will show as a virus by some software.