Mailbox Hide, Newbie Down the Rabbit Hole

Reaction score
When it comes to LPR, at night, it takes a butt load of light to be able to get plates and non-plate video. Good luck and keep us posted.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll be doing the same shortly. My house is under construction, but I have three cat cables ear-marked for the letterbox. I haven't yet decided on the style of letter box, but you've given me some good tips. Great job.
For your reference: The mailbox is 62' from the house wall and the column is 53'. The house side cam has (currently) a 6mm focal length.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Neat idea! Though it may get expensive if some kid decides to play mailbox baseball.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Neat idea! Though it may get expensive if some kid decides to play mailbox baseball.
But busting up that many cameras adds to the damage cost and hopefully the police would be willing to do something about it then! And you will certainly get good footage!

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very tidy work, great angle for LPR. Just hope a truck or kid with a baseball bat doesn't hit it.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What a great enclosure and good job. I wonder what you do for a living? I would paint a lighter color for the TX heat. You could be cooking the cams for the long term.
Thanks! I'm also curious about the temperature issue. it's currently at or near 100 each day just now. I wonder if there are temp sensors in these cams??
I considered painting it all white (has been a white box forever) but the gloss black was specifically done to help obscure the presence of the lens(es).
But busting up that many cameras adds to the damage cost and hopefully the police would be willing to do something about it then! And you will certainly get good footage!
Very tidy work, great angle for LPR. Just hope a truck or kid with a baseball bat doesn't hit it.
I've thought a lot about that because it's a common problem (very nearby) on the more rural roads, but so far (twenty-four years) in THIS neighborhood I've not seen it happen knocking on wood right now.
There ARE a couple of boxes that have been knocked down repeatedly by wayward cars because of the boxes' locations at certain turns, but they've managed to miss mine.
I DID give serious thought to armoring the box, I have the tools; I have the technology; I can make it stronger; I can make it faster.... sorry, ahem...got carried away.
To be honest, even if you built the box out of 1/2" plate, if you don't build a massive footing or post, it's still going to get destroyed if a car hits it. I actually made a point to attach it quite lightly to the post such that if somebody whacked it, it should just pop off rather than get destroyed. Hopefully I will NEVER learn the efficacy of this.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm also curious about the temperature issue. it's currently at or near 100 each day just now. I wonder if there are temp sensors in these cams??
I considered painting it all white (has been a white box forever) but the gloss black was specifically done to help obscure the presence of the lens(es).

There ARE a couple of boxes that have been knocked down repeatedly by wayward cars because of the boxes' locations at certain turns, but they've managed to miss mine.
Yes, I get the black color now. Maybe fabricate a solar shield overhead, or plant a tree nearby.

I find a few well placed large rocks (boulders) will slow the erratic cars down, and leave some good evidence.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any of the remote thermometers would work. I use an AcuRite to monitor two freezers but they'll read up into the 100+ degree range with no problems.

I had a friend whose mailbox was on the apex of a curve. It got hit, regularly, on Saturday nights generally between 2 and 3AM. The bars close here at 2AM. After the fourth time he decided to put an end to the problem. He got a six inch, heavy wall, steam pipe that was ten feet long. He used a backhoe to dig the hole for it, buried about seven feet of it, then filled the hole and the pipe with concrete. It took almost 10 yards, a redimix truck load, of concrete to fill the hole and pipe. The mailbox got mounted to a piece of 1/2" steel plate welded to the top of the pipe. The pipe got painted flat brown to look like wood.

Two weeks later at about 2:30AM on a Sunday morning he was awoken by a loud crash. When he got outside the mailbox post was about three feet into the front end of a Buick with the driver passed out in the car. The mailbox suffered no real damage, nor did the post. Funny thing was, that mailbox hasn't been hit ever since and that's over 40 years ago.

Reaction score
It would be interesting
I have a similar one that I will be using in my LPR box, if I ever get it installed.

In my brother's old neighborhood they had a problem with kids running over a bunch of mailboxes most weekends. He got tiered of fixing his and sunk a chunk of 2" square steel into the ground and had it sticking up about a foot and then placed the mailbox rod in that. On Sunday morning he woke up and all of the mailboxes along his street had been hit. But when they hit his, that 2" square stock ripped a hole in the oil pan. He followed the oil trail down the street and around the corner where it stopped at a pickup truck on the side of the road. He called the police and they came out, contacted the owner. Turns out the owner lived several streets over and his teenage son had taken the truck for the night with friends. I am not sure if that kid ever drove his dad's truck again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I've thought a lot about that because it's a common problem (very nearby) on the more rural roads, but so far (twenty-four years) in THIS neighborhood I've not seen it happen knocking on wood right now.
I DID give serious thought to armoring the box, I have the tools; I have the technology; I can make it stronger; I can make it faster.... sorry, ahem...got carried away.
To be honest, even if you built the box out of 1/2" plate, if you don't build a massive footing or post, it's still going to get destroyed if a car hits it. I actually made a point to attach it quite lightly to the post such that if somebody whacked it, it should just pop off rather than get destroyed. Hopefully I will NEVER learn the efficacy of this.
@MrSurly

You have great skills... definitely armor it imho...

examples of an attacks:

Swing batter batter

Bricks are not enough sometimes

USPS sometimes the drinking starts early

A nice custom mailbox, no cameras tho

Brick box in winter hit

Neighbors and SUVs...

Snow plow likes to eat mailboxes

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas and suggestions.

My goal is to have a POE camera mounted externally to my wood 4x4 mailbox post which sits next to the street, the house is 125ft from the street. The camera should be seen as innocuous and ignored by anyone looking at it. I should be able to route the cable through the post in order to hide the cable and limit tampering. The quality of the camera should be high enough so license plates are legible.

Correction: The post is 6x6
@DanPOE :
Check out @MrSurly mailbox .. one of my favorite jobs ..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score