LPR setup help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More light!!!!

As I told you, getting color is tough. Maybe you have enough light?

Post a sample video of what you have now, flaws and all. We can probably tell you if we think it is even possible.

The more you zoom in, the more light is needed. But if you zoom wider, then the plate might not be big enough to read.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still dialing things in with the 437. Very frustrating with color, but maybe one day. lol.. I really need to park my car when I'm making adjustments, would make things so much easier.
The neighbors put up new light fixtures on their garage, which puts out a LOT more light than their previous lights. That will definitely help on my quest for color 24/7.

However, in the meantime, while in IR mode I captured a new 3m type plate on a police car.

Attachments

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watching this for a few more weeks, and I would state I'm getting the new 3m plates at least 60% of the time with the 437. Kind of difficult to go through all the pics etc... to see, but...
Looking pretty good right now.

Though it is a bit disappointing that it seems Dahua is no longer supporting the 437.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well a bit of a set back. The neighbor has decided to replace their garage exterior lights, which helped light the area I am aiming my 437 LPR, with accent lights. I really think I could have gotten 24/7 color if they didn't replace them.
Due to the replacement, their light now barely goes 10 feet out from their garage. Ahh well..

It still REALLY annoys me Dahua stopped supporting this camera so soon. Their next "real" anpr camera is close to $1000.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well well well. After adding different garage light fixtures, which resulted in a huge increase in brightness, I was hoping to get the 437 to run color 24/7. Didn't work due to the neighbors changing their light fixtures out for accent lights.

What I didn't test was the 5241, pointing in the other direction. Just for kicks I tested this out last night, and huh... I can capture plates in color 24/7. How bout that? I still need to change settings a bit, fix the focus issue, etc... but I'm getting captures.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After a couple more incidents last night and this morning, guess I need to add a few more cameras for coverage. One camera is going to be a LPR for coverage of the T intersection. Few vehicles got broken into down that road, and I did get coverage of the vehicles from my other LPR, one more almost straight on would help quite a bit.

The other cameras are going to be covering my front porch at face level, A/C at face level, and back porch at face level. I already have coverage in these areas, but just want a different angle.

The other will be my mini-ptz going into duty covering my front/side yard and sidewalk areas. Unfortunately a elderly neighbor tripped on the sidewalk (not my sidewalk) where there is a pretty good difference level between one section and the other. I happened to be watching my cams for a different reason and saw him fall. Called 911, fire truck and ambo arrived. He went to the hospital for x-rays. Hope he's ok.
But the mini-ptz would have been able to see this from a different angle/coverage. More is better I guess.

Which also brings me to now needing another NVR. lol.. It never ends.