LPR placement help

philly304

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of great mounting options for a license plate camera. I have two options that I have thought of.

1. Get a cheaper turret cam and mount it on mailbox. Distance would be less than 20 feet. Does anyone have experience with this?
2. Mount a "traditional" bullet camera in a crape myrtle tree that may sway a bit in high winds. This tree is 25 feet from the street. and with the angle needed, it would be about 70-90 feet from a license plate. The trees also lose their leaves in the winter, making the camera more visible.

pic2.JPGpic1.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume your capture point is the choke point of the turnaround?

I think you'll constantly be fighting it in the crape myrtle. Eve of the house may work depending on the angle, 80-120 ft is no problem for the 5241 Z12

How do you feel about a birdhouse by the crape myrtle ? Well maybe not country barn Red :oops:, but you get the idea..

IMG_0640b.jpg IMG_0641b.jpg IMG_0642b.jpg

philly304

n3wb
Reaction score
I assume your capture point is the choke point of the turnaround?

I think you'll constantly be fighting it in the crape myrtle. Eve of the house may work depending on the angle, 80-120 ft is no problem for the 5241 Z12

How do you feel about a birdhouse by the crape myrtle ? Well maybe not country barn Red :oops:, but you get the idea..

View attachment 156292 View attachment 156293 View attachment 156294
Yes my capture point will be right at the entrance to the cul-de-sac. Thanks for the bird house idea. I thought about something similar in the mailbox Lower compartment. I have one of those mailboxs with a slot of newspapers underneath that rarely gets used. Only problem is I can’t fit a larger camera in there.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a great camera to put on the mailbox.

Several here have done that.

I am not sure if your state is going to the new 3M printed plates, but many of us have found the longer distances are problematic with those plates, so the closer you can get the better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah form factor doesnt really matter as long as you have enough optical zoom to reach your capture point. Bullet/Turret both use the same sensor generally in the same series....

Here's a 2.8mm-12mm 2MP varifocal from min to max zoom. Edge of dock is about 22-25ft

Mom_CAM 3_main_20230309195708_@1.jpg Mom_CAM 3_main_20230309195800_@1.jpg

Reaction score
Here are a few threads that may help you with cam placement. Also, you could put a pole at the tree and mount the cam there. Are you just trying to hide it for a specific reason?

While this thread is not about LPR, it does show how to hide a cam in a bird house:

This one shows how a guy did an LPR mailbox install:

Here are a couple of threads on LPR considerations:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about completely replacing your mailbox with a custom design mailbox that incorporates a couple of cameras and even external IR devices, if required. It's easy for me to spend your money.