LPR Camera Install Suggestions

jtech007

n3wb
Reaction score
After reading many a thread about LPR installs (This / This / & This ) I believe I am ready to install some test cameras in two locations to start grabbing plates. Just looking for some feedback from the experts here before I start drilling holes and running cables.

Unfornatually putting them on top of a ladder clamped to as a temp solution isn't an option due to the wife factor. I have overview/trigger camera's in three of the four prospective install locations. The fourth location does not have an overview/trigger camera installed yet, but will soon when I install the LPR's.

I have two of Fenderman's all-time favorite cameras, the Huisun Mini PTZ's set up in my garage and dialed in at about 26 feet currently for nighttime settings. I would like to install two of them in the final locations before I send @EMPIRETECANDY $500 for two HFW5241E-Z12E. I know I will have to adjust the settings on the Huisun's after I install them as 26 feet is shorter than the final distance to grab the plates.

I have attached BI screenshots of the current views of where the trigger cameras are currently and the LPR's will be. I have also attached a map from IPVM as I live on a corner lot like @samplenhold does so I am wondering based on my somewhat limited install locations where the two cameras should go. I live a two-plate state, so 99% of the cars have front plates unless they are the occasional meth wagons that roll through from time to time. I have estimated the maximum distance to the FOV for reading the plates will be 50-60 feet for each location.

The lead/capture time on Cam 1 and 2 would be the longest, but I am unsure how long after being triggered that BI+ALPR will need to grab the plate. Cam 3 has a good view of the street, but will have less time due to the curve in the road and my fence.

Cam 1 would grab all the North/South traffic on 174/175 and Cam 2 should get most on 23rd Way. Are those two the best locations, or are 3 needed as well to catch ones that head north on 175th and turn left on 23rd? Just wondering if Cam 2 will be able to grab plates from both directions when zoomed in?

Location 4 trigger/overview will be installed soon and is another possible location that would look east towards the T in the road but might suffer from the same issue as #3 where the lead time might not be enough to grab a plate after the car turns on to 23rd Way.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think those should work, but some of the trees will need to be trimmed so that they aren't bouncing in the wind and growing and blocking the view.

Reaction score
This is very similar to my setup. I have cams in positions 1 and 3. So if you do not have cam 2, then any cars w/o front plates that turn onto 23rd will be missed. I am considering placing a cam in your position 2 to rectify my problem.

Is cam 3 needed if you have a cam 2? Cam 2 gets the rear plates of anything turning onto 23rd. But if something comes down 23rd w/o front plate and turns right onto 175th, you get no plate.

I don't see cam 4 buying you anything if you have cam 1.

Unfornatually putting them on top of a ladder clamped to as a temp solution isn't an option due to the wife factor.
Test rig is not set up at each position for more than 30 minutes tops. Set it up in day and have her drive your car through each of the paths. Then do it at night the same way.

As far as 'lead time', not sure what you are referring to. Record 24/7 continuous and even if you do not get a plate in the alert image, you can still manually get that plate. You do not need to have an overview cam trigger the LPR cam.

These are the views that would probably give the best shots. Tree trimming will have to be kept after.

1653711489191.png

1653711499600.png Maybe need to tighten up on this one to avoid IR bounce back. Only way to know is to test.

1653711538800.png Tree trimming can kill you here. IR bounce back may be a problem if you cannot keep those branches out of the FOV.

jtech007

n3wb
Reaction score
This is very similar to my setup. I have cams in positions 1 and 3. So if you do not have cam 2, then any cars w/o front plates that turn onto 23rd will be missed. I am considering placing a cam in your position 2 to rectify my problem.

Is cam 3 needed if you have a cam 2? Cam 2 gets the rear plates of anything turning onto 23rd. But if something comes down 23rd w/o front plate and turns right onto 175th, you get no plate.

I don't see cam 4 buying you anything if you have cam 1.
We have front plates here for 99% of the rigs, so 1 & 3 make the most sense to me. I can add 2 easily if I'm not getting what I need, just trying to keep costs down in the long run.

Test rig is not set up at each position for more than 30 minutes tops. Set it up in day and have her drive your car through each of the paths. Then do it at night the same way.

As far as 'lead time', not sure what you are referring to. Record 24/7 continuous and even if you do not get a plate in the alert image, you can still manually get that plate. You do not need to have an overview cam trigger the LPR cam.

These are the views that would probably give the best shots. Tree trimming will have to be kept after.

View attachment 129258 Maybe need to tighten up on this one to avoid IR bounce back. Only way to know is to test.
Maybe I will have my son do it, that's his old Infiniti in the photo. My wife thinks I'm nuts but there has been an uptick in vehicles that don't fit the neighborhood in the past six months.

I record 24/7 on lower res sub-streams which I have read should be good enough for plate capture. Something I will have to dial in and do some more reading on I guess. Do you know why some use the overview for LPR then?

Thanks for the tips. I might be able to mitigate some of the bounce back off the shrub and light pole as I can move the mounting position to the right of this one about 6-8" and have a more direct shot down the street.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We use the overview for LPR to capture the details on the car - make, model, color, etc. because for most of us, this is what it looks like at night for LPR:

1653717716586.png

When all you see is the plate and head/tail lights, an overview allows you to see the vehicle.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
For sure Location 1. put that camera up first, and then see where your weakness is to decide on the next cam placement.
Location 2 would catch a plate before it turned right across the FOV of location 1 which would be seeing a side view of the car.
Location 1 also might be catching the same plates as location 3 if things work out.
I suppose it depends on traffic patterns too and if these are not thru streets, will they be coming back to get the other end of the car/ plate.
if you go with loc 3, aim it at the asphalt between the last two big trees, get it to focus on that in daylight. set your shutter to 1/2000 and see how it does.

Reaction score
We have front plates here for 99% of the rigs
What state is this? TX has 2 plates, but I get about 40-50 cars every day with no front plate, especially Audi's.

After you have your cams up, you may find that there are much more no front plate cars than you thought. But you might be fine with that. Plans evolve as experience is gained. I get enough cars w/o front plates that turn down Side Road that I am thinking of installing a cam to take care of that.

Make sure to post your installs and final caps. Everyone will be interested in how it works out for you.

jtech007

n3wb
Reaction score
For sure Location 1. put that camera up first, and then see where your weakness is to decide on the next cam placement.
Location 2 would catch a plate before it turned right across the FOV of location 1 which would be seeing a side view of the car.
Location 1 also might be catching the same plates as location 3 if things work out.
I suppose it depends on traffic patterns too and if these are not thru streets, will they be coming back to get the other end of the car/ plate.
if you go with loc 3, aim it at the asphalt between the last two big trees, get it to focus on that in daylight. set your shutter to 1/2000 and see how it does.
Both are through streets, through 23rd Way loops around the block before you can exit the neighborhood. Most of the plates will be grabbed from the North/South 174th/175th Street.

jtech007

n3wb
Reaction score
What state is this? TX has 2 plates, but I get about 40-50 cars every day with no front plate, especially Audi's.

After you have your cams up, you may find that there are much more no front plate cars than you thought. But you might be fine with that. Plans evolve as experience is gained. I get enough cars w/o front plates that turn down Side Road that I am thinking of installing a cam to take care of that.

Make sure to post your installs and final caps. Everyone will be interested in how it works out for you.
I live in Washington, across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Both are front plate states. Oddly enough, my wife does not have a front plate on her X5 and I see a few around town that do not or put it in the windshield as they don't want holes in the front bumper.

I will be working on the installs over the next few days and weeks and will post results when it's dialed in. Thanks to all for your help, should be a fun addition to the addiction :cool: