LOREX N842 nvr with 8 active cameras E893 E892 camera best settings recording main sub display stream

doctorman

n3wb
Reaction score
Would appreciate some guidance on Lorex N842 setup to reduce the strain on the system so my face detection can work better.

Is the compression and face detection done by the hardware in the camera E393 or is it done by the NVR hardware N824?

If the face detection is slow or not good ... should I remove the load from the NVR or that specific camera?

Lorex said it is done by the camera
and recommended H265 , CBR for main channel and sub stream

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should do as much within the camera that you can.

doctorman

n3wb
Reaction score
You should do as much within the camera that you can.
huh?

found the remote page of the actual camera and found a lot of fine-tuning option with face detection , hopefully that will help, I think increasing the snap angle filter and increasing the sensitivity should help.

unrelated issue, any idea why LOREX port1 camera loads as :10080 and says it is not reachable , all other ports work fine
also if I disable one of the 8 cameras port1 gets a port like 10081 and then it works

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Huh?

You asked whether the face detection is done with the NVR hardware or the camera hardware.

I replied you should do as much within the camera as possible.

Meaning you should set as many items in the camera as you can - motion detection, shutter speed, AI, etc. within the camera GUI.

Even though the NVR has the interface to set those, during a power outage or some other reason, when the NVR boots back up, it will pull the settings from the camera.

Further, if you use the AI in the NVR instead of the camera AI, the capacity of the NVR is reduced.

The issue you are experiencing is you probably now are over the bandwidth capacity of the NVR. So when you disable a camera, the one that didn't load now loads.

Just because it is an 8 channel NVR doesn't mean it can actually support 8 cameras depending on your settings such as resolution, FPS, bitrate, and if the NVR is doing the AI.

doctorman

n3wb
Reaction score
Huh?

You asked whether the face detection is done with the NVR hardware or the camera hardware.

I replied you should do as much within the camera as possible.

Meaning you should set as many items in the camera as you can - motion detection, shutter speed, AI, etc. within the camera GUI.

Even though the NVR has the interface to set those, during a power outage or some other reason, when the NVR boots back up, it will pull the settings from the camera.

Further, if you use the AI in the NVR instead of the camera AI, the capacity of the NVR is reduced.

The issue you are experiencing is you probably now are over the bandwidth capacity of the NVR. So when you disable a camera, the one that didn't load now loads.

Just because it is an 8 channel NVR doesn't mean it can actually support 8 cameras depending on your settings such as resolution, FPS, bitrate, and if the NVR is doing the AI.
thank you so much for explaining that
any advice on best setting to use for face detection in the camera?

for th 10080 port issue it is explained here No Access to one CAM Web GUI behind NVR
bottom line 10080 port is dangerous so all browsers have blocked it , first cam accessed gets the 10080 port, so start with a camera not needed first

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us don't use face detection as it can be fooled easier than human detection.

It isn't facial recognition, rather it is simply looking for an object that has the general dimensions of a face and will trigger on that. Someone wearing a hat or looking down or a mask and you miss the trigger.

doctorman

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of us don't use face detection as it can be fooled easier than human detection.

It isn't facial recognition, rather it is simply looking for an object that has the general dimensions of a face and will trigger on that. Someone wearing a hat or looking down or a mask and you miss the trigger.
for this specific doorway I need very sensitive face detection. Lorex puts the face snapshots on the side of the 8 view cam on the monitor and t is very useful in my setting.

I fixed my issue with the camera by accessing its actual remote page and setting the sensitivity for face detection. Saved me a lot of headaches!

thank you

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

wittaj is correct. I own & have installed several Lorex NVRs. Enabling AI on the NVR seriously degrades the BW of the NVR; to the point you can swamp the inbound BW. I.E. one of my Lorex NVRs is 16 ch, 320 Mbs BW i/b capacity, @ 4k, 30 fps... but enable AI and BW drops to 200 (that's optimistic). I don't use the AI functions on my NVRs because of that, and I just didn't find them useful and reliable enough to warrant the BW cost. But, if you have a specific need such as facial recog, then my $0.02 says get a good camera, enable desired AI features on it, and use the NVR in "dumb" mode. Lorex uses Dahua NVRs (at least all I've run across so far), but unfortunately they're deprecated versions hamstrung by buggy firmware that Lorex will likely never update/improve (in my experience). Not putting them down, as they can work relatively well for some purposes; but there are better alternatives out there.. Wish I'd known that before I spent a LOT of time & $$, debugging Lorex quirks over the last decade (& good luck calling tech support).
I don't waste time trying to configure cameras through Lorex apps or NVR LAN web GUI. Aside from basic functions, the NVRs generally don't allow full parameter access to the cameras. Even what it does, in my experience it doesn't always work, or work as expected. I found it best to configure cameras over each cam web mngmt page, and in some (many?) cases, it's the only way to access some cam functions. In my case, I have many cams from various OEM, which amazingly most of my Lorex NVRs can access - ONCE I've config'd them up over the cam local LAN web mgmt page. However, the NVR cannot access all cam functions if using non Lorex cams (even tho ONVIF 2.4+ compliant). Amusingly, Lorex NVRs I have are not even aware that some of the Lorex cams are actually Dahua, and have extended capabilites, tho you can access via local LAN. Bought a dome cam from Andy (Empiretec) here, and it worked perfectly right out of the box on my higher end Lorex NVR... but I config'd it offline via local LAN web portal anyway. The camera is AI/face recgn capable (though does drop FPS some), and so is far "smarter" than the NVR, LoL. Don't need face recgn, just motion detection (confined area), so NVR works fine in dumb mode for me; then let the camera do the hardcore processing, if desired. Just my $0.02, YMMV