Lorex 4K PTZ With 1/1.8 Sensor

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think one would be better off with the 4MP (or the 2MP) on the 1/1.8" sensor...even more so with a PTZ that can see further away and a wider range of view than a fixed cam...the same message we say of don't chase MP applies even more to a PTZ. I can turn one way at night and have very little light and the other direction has more.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj yes true but I'm tempted after watching this video (post below) from @tech101

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are two key things to keep in mind.

1 - How much light is available over the entire field of view. That particular video you linked does have quite a bit of ambient light available.

2 - Dependent on how much light an 8MP may not be able to hold color at night while a 4MP might be able to and a 2MP probably would be able to. That assumes the same sensor in all three resolutions. Each megapixel in the 8MP will receive, roughly, 1/4 the amount of light when compared to the 2MP and half as much light when compared to the 4MP.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Amcrest and Andy have a similar version but this one is a 8 MP with a 1/1.8 CMOS sensor. I gotta somehow talk my wife into this new toy.

Full specs:

View attachment 83716
I d not see any Lux ratings in the specifications.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not see the "Minimum Illumination" in the specifications.
indeed .. Lorex's spec sheet missing that .. they are also no longer linked on their product pages, making them harder to find. ( thus when I do find them, I am now more inclined to post them here also .. )

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
In the big picture this PTZ camera and others will help drive adoption, competition, and development. Anyone who has been in the security industry for any length of time can affirm how very slow this market segment has been for decades!

When you see 1st tier company’s (name who ever) still producing 1990 hardware all the while asking $400-3K for the same?!?

This is why seeing 2nd tier companies from the likes of Dahua / Hikvision pushing the security video industry as it relates to technology has been so refreshing and inspiring.

It’s safe to say both companies have done more for the average DIY never mind SMB to obtain cutting edge video security than all of the 1st tier combined as it relates to costs. Even those piece of shit products from the likes of Arlow, Nest, Ring, etc help the video security industry as a whole.

How?!?

Pushing adoption, ease of install, human / vehicle filtering, remote access & control, etc.

This time 10 years ago you would have been hard pressed to see a home with four security cameras never mind one in a neighbourhood. Now, anyone can walk down the street and see at least one door cam, flood cam, etc. If that helps reduce the incidence of crime I’m all for it. If the same makes the 1st / 2nd tier video security makers to incorporate more high tech all the while driving prices down.

That’s a win for everyone as a whole!

The casual effect of people buying these toy like products is they almost always upgrade to prosumer / professional hardware! That supports everyone in the long run and pushes the 1st tier makers to offer better value vs features.

Something is better than nothing for some. I would argue it’s best to spend your money once than waste it several times over.

Pay once - Cry once.