Looking to setup camera in my garage anyway to do it wireless to my NVR

VTL1192

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue is my hikvision nvr is in my basement I want to put a camera in the from of my garage and In the rear.. I don't have any ethernet cables running to my garage currently and it's hard to do that since is detached..

Is there anyway I can run the camera wirelesssly to my nvr somehow or is there a switch what I can run one wire to that supports Poe so I can have multiple cameras feeding into the switch and run over one wire to my nvr? What would be my best setup for this?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have power in the garage? If so then PowerLine is possible.

Wifi is possible but difficult.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TPLink AV1200 AV2 MIMO adapters may do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Send you a link to a good what? Power Line Converter? Wireless AP? Wireless camera?

To do wireless is going to need a lot of equipment and to be frank, more expertise than you have. That's why most here (including me) recommend PowerLine for this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. Try powerline adapters. Just remember not to plug the adapters in behind a surge protector or a UPS as these can disrupt the data signal. Plug them straight into the wall. You can attach a PoE switch to the powerline adapter in the garage. If a powerline kit does not work, you can return it and try a point-to-point wireless bridge.

If you end up having to try wireless, use a pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 to link the house and garage. https://amzn.com/B004EHSV4W These radios have to be mounted outdoors, and they are powered with proprietary PoE (power injectors are included in the box), so you just need to run one network cable to each radio. They should be able to see each other perfectly without any obstructions of any kind, though at such a short distance you can probably get away with some obstructions. Set the output power on both radios to the absolute minimum amount (this is sufficient for several hundred feet!). Set up the radios as a bridge: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205142890-airMAX-Configure-a-Point-to-Point-Link-Layer-2-Transparent-Bridge- Once configured properly and secured with a long WPA2 key, it should deliver a stable and consistent 100 Mbps link.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup. Try powerline adapters. Just remember not to plug the adapters in behind a surge protector or a UPS as these can disrupt the data signal. Plug them straight into the wall. You can attach a PoE switch to the powerline adapter in the garage.
Ot oh (stupid alert), I might have done this and that might be why my signal is soooooo bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From your op it seems like you are willing to run a single wire to a poe switch in the garage. Do you have power in the garage? if so simply buy a poe switch...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how many cameras are you planning on putting off the garage? Anything else in the garage you want network access, like a local access point?

If its more than a couple I would suggest burying conduit and running a short fiber optic cable to a PoE switch in the garage as @fenderman just suggested.. the fiberoptics will keep your garage electrically isolated as far as the network is concerned so any high power tools, equipment failures, or lightning strikes wont go back up inside your house via the copper ethernet lines.

my biggest concern with powerline would be noise in the garage, when I fire up a welder it will reset my smartphone if its close enough.. so much EMI, then many have a few handfull of fluroesent ballasts that dont help anything either.