Looking into the Hikvision 4mp 25x zoom DS-2DE4A425IW-DE

TheJM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for my first PTZ camera and came my research led me to the DS-2DE4A425IW-DE. I have read nothing but positive things about it and want to make sure im not missing something. Looks like a great camera.

Specifically I am looking for a soffit mountable PTZ camera with auto-tracking. The soffit mounting requirement (as opposed to wall mounting with the arm mount) seemed to eliminate most of the market.

I am using this camera to monitor my driveway which is about 100 feet long to the street. The 25x zoom looked awesome too though probably a bit overkill for my situation.

I have a few questions.
1. I know that no camera is perfect but am i missing something about this camera? Is there any negatives that i should be aware of that may not be obvious?
2. The seller selling the camera on Amazon is VIVSKY. Is this a ok place to buy it to ensure its not a fake? Its $549 on there right now. EDIT: After looking into it, it seems that this is a knockoff version of the camera. I found the real version on bhphoto
3. I have heard some cameras are vulnerable to being hacked (may not be the right word). Is there something i should watch out for here?
4. Can someone point me to a resource that would show me the best way to view this camera from outside my home from my phone? Ill be using Blue Iris if that matters.

Thanks in advance!
JM

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just one negative comment on that camera. Auto tracking isn't working so good. When she starts to track one object she get confused very quickly and view goes nowhere. This isn't happening very often but often enough if you want error free auto tracking :)

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had my DS-2DE4A425IW-DE for well over 1 year now and love it. It easily tracks anything that enters my driveway which is approximately 80 feet away. Nightvision is great too. I always highly recommended this camera. Stay away from Amazon sellers. Go with a trusted Chinese seller if you know of one to save money, if not go with b&h for the warranty.

Here's a video of the smart tracking before the camera was even really dialed in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have 2 new DS-2DE4A425IW-DE cams (replaced 4 y/o Dahuas which were failing). Have some searching back and forth (rocking) after zooming and Smart tracking a target. Continues until Park command takes effect at 5 sec, or if I manually hit goto Preset 1. Any solutions? Also need some help with night settings, etc. Otherwise cameras are A+ in my opinion.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have 2 new DS-2DE4A425IW-DE cams (replaced 4 y/o Dahuas which were failing). Have some searching back and forth (rocking) after zooming and Smart tracking a target. Continues until Park command takes effect at 5 sec, or if I manually hit goto Preset 1. Any solutions? Also need some help with night settings, etc. Otherwise cameras are A+ in my opinion.
Your question isn't that clear but sounds like you want the smart tracking to last longer. Your able to adjust the time for the duration of the smart tracking. Once that event is over the camera reverts back to its first preset.

What are your lighting conditions at night? Ambient light?

Reaction score
Problem 1 may have been solved after perusing many Youtube videos. It was suggested that when installing NOT to check the Smart Tracking in the PTZ configuration, but only adjust the Zoom Ratio and the duration of tracking in the PTZ settings. What was happening was the video was rapidly tracking back and forth (a short distance right and left) at partial zoom after losing it's target. This would persist until an automatic Park command at 5 seconds would return camera to it's preset. So far the above solution seems to be working.
Problem 2 is that (compared to my Dahuas) clarity and picture quality is significantly worsened. Viewing area is moderately dark but the neighborhood has gas operated streetlights, landscaping lights, etc. I am mainly interested in what other folks are using for Night settings, BLC, WDR, HLC, also exposure settings, etc. to get the best picture quality. Our setup is about 50 feet from the street with maximum range at about 150 feet.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Problem 1 may have been solved after perusing many Youtube videos. It was suggested that when installing NOT to check the Smart Tracking in the PTZ configuration, but only adjust the Zoom Ratio and the duration of tracking in the PTZ settings. What was happening was the video was rapidly tracking back and forth (a short distance right and left) at partial zoom after losing it's target. This would persist until an automatic Park command at 5 seconds would return camera to it's preset. So far the above solution seems to be working.
Problem 2 is that (compared to my Dahuas) clarity and picture quality is significantly worsened. Viewing area is moderately dark but the neighborhood has gas operated streetlights, landscaping lights, etc. I am mainly interested in what other folks are using for Night settings, BLC, WDR, HLC, also exposure settings, etc. to get the best picture quality. Our setup is about 50 feet from the street with maximum range at about 150 feet.
Sounds like you might have enough ambient light to run daytime settings 24/7. Post some pictures and videos of what your capturing now

Bolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there any IR reflection problem with this cam when it's using night vision?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there any IR reflection problem with this cam when it's using night vision?
No. My only issue was light refelcting off of the white soffit which was solved by adding the available mount giving it another 2" or so away from the soffit itself.

agold2009

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have this camera. Its a great camera, but I wonder if anyone else experiences the same issue I have? When WDR is enabled, I get horrible purple ghosting on the image when panning quickly. Do you guys also experience this only when panning?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have this camera. Its a great camera, but I wonder if anyone else experiences the same issue I have? When WDR is enabled, I get horrible purple ghosting on the image when panning quickly. Do you guys also experience this only when panning?
No never. I do recall seeing another threat about a purple tinge on a camera but it wasn't this PTZ

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry to hijack, quick question is this camera work under firefox with latest version? live video feed

Reaction score
I have this camera and am very happy so far.
One small negative comment is that compared to my previous camera, the view angle is much narrower. But this was to expect.
This is only something you may have to check before (if you track only in your driveway, this is OK, but if you want to cover wider angles, this may not be the solution).
The Zoom is incredible and image quality is perfect for the usage at day or night.
Auto tracking works great so far. You may adjust the tracking time so the camera does not search back and fourth when the person leave the field.

Denis

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just one negative comment on that camera. Auto tracking isn't working so good. When she starts to track one object she get confused very quickly and view goes nowhere. This isn't happening very often but often enough if you want error free auto tracking :)
This is a Hikvision feature so to say, and there is nothing you can do unless using some else intelligence to control the tracking, for example a radar.
As Hikvision support suggested after multiple unsuccesful tracking clips, I swapped my DS-series PTZ to DF-series PTZ (with doubled price) and it helped a bit.
But it`s never going to work as you wish. Looking forward to BI`s tracking feature which is on it`s way.
About the radar DS-PR 60/100/120, I haven`t tested, and will not test because it`s made by Hikvision.
In my opinion the only thing that is working good in Hikvision is the image quality.