Looking for an new driveway camera

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have a driveway that is about 250' long and half~ of it is lit by 2 garage lights. I also have a DS-2CD2347G1-L 4MP with a 1/1.8" Progressive Scan CMOS sensor. It does a good job at picking up plate numbers when a little past half way down our driveway.

Would the DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8MP with a 1/1.2″ Progressive Scan CMOS sensor be better? Is there an option that Andy would have that's close or better?

If I were to update this camera, the "old" one would be mounted either in the garage or on the other side of the door for a different perspective.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Granted the cars would be coming straight at the camera and at slow speed, but I find it hard to believe you can read plates day and night at 125 feet or so with a 2.8 or 4mm camera.

Please post a day and night shot.

Andy sells the 4K/T and 4K/X that are on the 1/1.2" sensor, but I would recommend the bullet 4K/X as it doesn't suffer from the focus range issues that the 4K/T seems to have.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I measured, it's closer to 50'. Would a dome camera be a problem with the garage light to the right? IR never comes up at night due to the amount of light. I could try turning it on and see what it looks like.
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.00.41 PM.png

Night time:
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.03.29 PM.png
The odd yellow artifact on the left- I'm not sure what that is, I need to take a closer look. It's something on the lens, I think.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A dome would be horrible. And the 1/1.2" sensor lets in so much light that it may be worse in that spot.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just turned IR on and tested it, totally blocks the license plates so I'll need to go back to color mode.

What camera would you recommend?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah with plates you need to increase the shutter speed a lot because they are so reflective. But then it gets to the point of everything around it is dark.

What is your goal - to simply update the camera to a newer model?

If you are looking to upgrade to 4K (8MP), keep in mind that most of us here that have bought the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor use it simply for overview in color.

These larger sensors really show that these cameras are not infinity focus and some models the focus sweet spot is a distance of 14-17 feet and everything before and after that distance is blurry/soft.

Most here feel 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor is the sweet spot.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The goal is to see the plates and surrounding information. It sounds like I should stick with this camera for now. Thank you,

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I measured, it's closer to 50'. Would a dome camera be a problem with the garage light to the right? IR never comes up at night due to the amount of light. I could try turning it on and see what it looks like.
View attachment 188496

Night time:
View attachment 188497
The odd yellow artifact on the left- I'm not sure what that is, I need to take a closer look. It's something on the lens, I think.
It is possible the yellow is the reflection of the light on the right.