Looking for advice on starlight camera for live stream

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K-X Bullets have been better than the turrets for night sky.
I use a 5442, 4K-X and a $K-T.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that while no as sophisticated as changing the day/night profile based on sunrise/sunset, the camera does have a basic schedule that you can put it to tell it when to switch between night and day.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. So if I can get the camera connected to Blue Iris and control the day/night settings from there, is it then possible to live stream it direct to a webpage (wordpress) from Blue Iris ?
Technically possible, yes. Recommended, not really. It introduces a bit of a security concern and uses your CPU and internet upload bandwidth unpredictably. It would be better to live-stream to youtube and embed the youtube video on the website. Or use Blue Iris's periodic snapshot FTP capability to upload a still image on a predefined interval.

Spaced Out

n3wb
Reaction score
Technically possible, yes. Recommended, not really. It introduces a bit of a security concern and uses your CPU and internet upload bandwidth unpredictably. It would be better to live-stream to youtube and embed the youtube video on the website. Or use Blue Iris's periodic snapshot FTP capability to upload a still image on a predefined interval.
Thanks. I'm not keen on youtube tbh, I'd like the live stream to appear on the webpage, clean, without youtube logos or anything like that and without the need to click on a link to open/activate it. Are there any other ways you can think of to achieve this ? I currently FTP a still image to it every 60 seconds but I am looking to live stream as an upgrade to that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not keen on youtube tbh, I'd like the live stream to appear on the webpage, clean, without youtube logos or anything like that and without the need to click on a link to open/activate it. Are there any other ways you can think of to achieve this ? I currently FTP a still image to it every 60 seconds but I am looking to live stream as an upgrade to that.
Well Blue Iris does provide an HLS stream which is compatible with most javascript-based video players (see the Help file for the URL format), or you could embed livestream.htm or ui3.htm in an iframe on your website. But you will need to disable the authentication requirement in Blue Iris's advanced web server settings to use any of this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To embed the video on a website, I'd actually recommend not using Blue Iris for that purpose. If you want to serve the video directly with your own internet connection, then use MediaMTX instead. It is free, open-source, and can provide an HLS stream more efficiently than Blue Iris can, without exposing all the rest of Blue Iris's web server to your website visitors. Read more about embedding a stream on a web page here: GitHub - bluenviron/mediamtx: Ready-to-use SRT / WebRTC / RTSP / RTMP / LL-HLS media server and media proxy that allows to read, publish, proxy and record video and audio streams.

Spaced Out

n3wb
Reaction score
To embed the video on a website, I'd actually recommend not using Blue Iris for that purpose. If you want to serve the video directly with your own internet connection, then use MediaMTX instead. It is free, open-source, and can provide an HLS stream more efficiently than Blue Iris can, without exposing all the rest of Blue Iris's web server to your website visitors. Read more about embedding a stream on a web page here: GitHub - bluenviron/mediamtx: Ready-to-use SRT / WebRTC / RTSP / RTMP / LL-HLS media server and media proxy that allows to read, publish, proxy and record video and audio streams.
That's great information. Thanks :thumb: