Looking for a Roof Mounted Camera(s) for Watching the Weather / Sky

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I live in KS - on the top of a hill - with lots of surrounding land. I enjoy watching storms roll in and different parts of my property can be raining while the other side is sunny.

I was thinking of mounting a camera on the top of my roof that I can use the view the weather in various directions. I originally though of getting a PTZ camera and mounting it on the roof - but wondered if there are already some good solutions that already exist. Are there any 360 degree cameras?

I mostly want to use this to keep an eye on the surrounding weather.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with a panoramic, 360 degree view, camera is that the image is kind of small once it's dewarped for viewing. It probably will look like and overview camera, say 2.8mm or even less focal length. A PTZ is typically used for weather observation like this. It doesn't need to be an expensive one, but a PTZ will probably prove more satisfactory in the long run. The best solution would be one of each.

I can give you a link to this one for a modestly priced PTZ, but will need help from @EMPIRETECANDY for a panoramic that will work for you.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The easiest solution for a panoramic solution, is to use 3 or 4 identical cameras, arranged on the roof in such a manner that their field of view's slightly overlap each other, then you would get full sized pictures that you can view all at once. If you purchase varifocal model cams, then you can easily adjust the field of view of each to "touch each other".
My 2 cents.
Such as this camera.
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk
This camera properly configured would have good views of clouds and such even at night.

If you want go go the PTZ route, then @sebastiantombs has you covered.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

sktoriqul

n3wb
Reaction score
I know about cameras that rotate around their axis every minute. Unfortunately, I do not know of cameras that can shoot all angles simultaneously. You can also put four or six cameras on your roof to monitor their image in real-time. I have a small greenhouse on top of my house. About three years ago, I built a glass greenhouse to grow cacti there for sale. It was my wife's dream. Before this greenhouse, I just had a flat roof. First, I asked the Indianapolis roof contractor to insulate the ceiling. And then we got the idea to make a greenhouse. So, this glass building on the top offers a good view of the sky. You can take this as an idea.