lol

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As TonyR said, obviously not his first rodeo.....

If I was the owner I would have grabbed that phone from her, smashed it with a hammer a few times and then let her walk out. Granted I would have loved to have just smashed her kneecaps, but I have a feeling that doing business like that would no longer be accepted.....

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As TonyR said, obviously not his first rodeo.....

If I was the owner I would have grabbed that phone from her, smashed it with a hammer a few times and then let her walk out. Granted I would have loved to have just smashed her kneecaps, but I have a feeling that doing business like that would no longer be accepted.....
Why smash it? Just keep it until she paid, or if she didn't resell it and recover the cost that way.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why smash it?
Satisfaction.

Because that Cee U Next Tuesday probably doesnt have the cash to buy a new phone. So smashing the one she wanted to get fixed would just be priceless.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Satisfaction.

Because that Cee U Next Tuesday probably doesnt have the cash to buy a new phone. So smashing the one she wanted to get fixed would just be priceless.
Yeah but then you could get sued. It' still her phone until it's legally "abandoned". You smash it and she says she was coming back to pay a week later as stated in her agreement with you as recorded on camera, and the judge says.....

Whereas if you keep the phone you most likely have a legal lien on it until the debt is paid. Many jurisdictions have a time period after which if a debt is not paid for services rendered, any goods subject to that debt become abandoned and saleable / disposable once that period expires.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Pity you can't have a CS gas / pepper spray dispensor above the door that you can push a remote button for that sprays her when she tries to push her way out.

Found one lol albeit you might need to wire the switch as a burglar alarm input (or simply use an alarm and trigger the uncounterpanic alarm).

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ Be careful as that would be assault/battery if she is trying to leave.
Would have thought it would have been OK if OK for burglary as buglary is just theft with tresspass, this was attempted theft and she was trying to escape but I don't know your laws and every state seems to be different. I've seen cops where someone has shot someone dead for trying to break in and it's been ok and in other states, you seem to have laws like ours where if you sneeze at a criminal it's assault.

Reaction score
Our state laws don’t favor the criminal, at least yet. The thought here is that she was trying to leave as in there was no longer a threat. If this was in a woke jurisdiction one would have an even higher bar to justify battery on a threat that was leaving.

If a threat is advancing as in entering, in your example, then most jurisdictions recognize that lethal force may be justified according to the circumstances. If the threat is leaving then one would not be justified in engaging in lethal force and/or battery.

I was in law enforcement for many years and always had to think through the situation even if I only had two seconds to make my decision. There is an old saying: it takes 2 seconds to make a decision and 20 years to litigate that decision.

I appreciate your thoughts. That’s what makes a society functional.