Loitering detection on a Color4K/X with alarm moves them along

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Wife and I jumped out of our respective skins last night when the 105db piezoelectric buzzer went off at 1:22am. The Color4K/X had detected people in the loitering region I have set up between 11am and 5am. More than 20 seconds in the magic square and the camera sounds an alarm (audible in the video) and triggers alarm out relay #1 on the Dahua NVR.

They'd moved on before I was able to get out of bed and point the 5000 lumen flashlight in their eyes. The one in the middle looks at the camera like a deer in the headlights! lol

For those who don't speak Spanish, they were discussing entering the house via the window to the left of the camera. Hopefully, the alarm spooked them enough to decide against this idea. I'll go back through all the face detection I get throughout the day on this same camera (IVS 8pm to 7am and face detection 7am to 8pm) as they look familiar. One has what appears to be a tattoo on his left forearm but I'll have to take some snapshots and try to clean them up a bit.

The third one was taking a leak beside a tree as the other two were talking.

Going to expand the zone a bit to each side but this is the first time I've had the loitering detection legitimately go off. Absolutely had the desired effect!

But gotta get those new LED lamps up.

loiterzone.png

View attachment NVR_ch1_main_20230512012232_20230512012325.mp4

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That worked pretty darn good!

Do you have another camera with a tighter zoom to really capture faces well.
No, unfortunately not. This same cam does face detection during the day as I have IVS rules on other cameras that cover the property line. It does a good job during the day but useless at night with the little light. But once I get my 18k lumen LEDs up, I should be able to run FD on that same cam even though it's a bit far.

Oh, there's a SD1A404XB PTZ mounted on the extreme corner under the soffit on the far left. It does 24/7 FD but not enough light right now to make it useful.

The barrier to getting the lights up is I need someone with proper gear to work at heights to lower themselves down and mount the LED panels on the corner of the soffit that's above the SD1A404XB. It's impossible to properly access from the terrace. 15 foot ceilings are great until you need to get into a tricky place like that.

I'm sure these kids are local (probably live one block up in a problem building) and I'm going to show a few people I trust the video.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Great!
Was that a flash of lightning @ 01:23:11?
Yup. Big electrical storm last night around that time and then around 5am.

My poor dog was knocking on the bedroom door to be let in as she's terrified of thunder. But the wife won't let her. She, the dog, sheds incessantly. Come to think of it, so does the wife. I should take a picture of the shower drain when I clean it out! lol

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My poor dog was knocking on the bedroom door to be let in as she's terrified of thunder.
One of our 2 rescues (Chihuahua and Corgi mix) is like that...thunder and fireworks. Our storm patterns are usually between 10PM and 2AM, so I get up and go to the living room and she lays next to me in the recliner where we sleep until it's over. The things we do for our pets....:cool:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
One of our 2 rescues (Chihuahua and Corgi mix) is like that...thunder and fireworks. Our storm patterns are usually between 10PM and 2AM, so I get up and go to the living room and she lays next to me in the recliner where we sleep until it's over. The things we do for our pets....:cool:
Wife has serious jealously issues so I doubt I could get away with sneaking away in the middle of the night! lol

Sometimes my wife asks me to "talk to her the way I talk to the dogs"! hahahaha

Both of mine are rescues, as well. It's a very rewarding experience to see them develop and improve over time.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That worked pretty darn good!

Do you have another camera with a tighter zoom to really capture faces well.
I'm planning to get this project done by the end of the year. Two face detection cameras right at the sidewalk 4 feet off the ground. Combined with the lights I'm putting up, this would have gotten their faces perfectly.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Cruising by in my 57 Chevy and saw CanCuba installing those powerful lights finally :lmao:

View attachment 162757
Honestly, without proper alpine gear, that's how we'd have to do it! Either that or get on the roof and hang someone upside down by their ankles while they drill and secure the lights. lolololol

Thank you! This made my day!