Live feed or triggered recordings are extremely choppy

eroji

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have 2 1080P HikVision cameras set up with BlueIris 4. I am able to view the cameras and recordings locally without any issue, although the BlueIris server is constantly pegging the CPU. Since it's a virtual machine I basically just gave it more cores and let me be, although I wish the application just performed better. The most problematic issue however is when I try to use the BlueIris app on my phone to connect to the server. Live feeds are extremely choppy, and only shows a few frames at a time, then pauses and repeat. Triggered recording also behave the same way, except the videos would seems like it's in fast forward, then pause, and repeat. I've tried deleting and re-adding the cameras, played with webcast encoding quality. None of that seems to help. I am at the point thinking maybe I need to reinstall BlueIris altogether. If that still doesn't fix it I might just to try a different NVR solution, but I'm hoping someone here can point out what I have misconfigured.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
BI will use less CPU if the cams are set to record direct-to-disk (licensed version only) and if you can enable/use intel quicksync hardware acceleration.
I don't know if a VM will allow it use those optimizations. What are the specs of the machine you are running it on? Perhaps someone here with
BI/VM experience can comment...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@eroji vm will allow direct to disc but not hardware acceleration...2 1080p cameras should not require that much cpu power (particularly if run at 15fps)...so as pozzello pointed out, direct to disk is a MUST. If you are running the demo, then d2d is not working. Camera properties>record>file format.
Also, what cpu do you have in your VM? how much of it is allocated to the BI machine. We see lots of folks using outdated powerhog servers having issues. The power savings alone would pay for a more efficient machine if you are running a 2009 xeon of some sort.

eroji

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. I am running on the paid version. I did some more troubleshooting and it turns out a the choppiness was a direct result of trying to reverse proxy port 81 HTTP of BlueIris to 443 HTTPS using IIS. I didn't realize it had such terrible SSL offloading performance. I will be switching to HAProxy on my pfSense for this from now on. With that resolved, the CPU load issue does improve quite a bit if I do the direct-to-disc recording, but, when I configure it that way, I am unable to open them in my mobile app. (I am guessing it has something to do with how the file is locked) All it ending up saying is "Loading...". The 2 cameras are doing 30FPS (I know it's overkill). I gave the VM 4 cores and 4GB of RAM and it is still for the moment sufficient to handle the load. All of this is running in ESXi on a dual E5-2670 server so I don't think the CPU is underpowered for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. I am running on the paid version. I did some more troubleshooting and it turns out a the choppiness was a direct result of trying to reverse proxy port 81 HTTP of BlueIris to 443 HTTPS using IIS. I didn't realize it had such terrible SSL offloading performance. I will be switching to HAProxy on my pfSense for this from now on. With that resolved, the CPU load issue does improve quite a bit if I do the direct-to-disc recording, but, when I configure it that way, I am unable to open them in my mobile app. (I am guessing it has something to do with how the file is locked) All it ending up saying is "Loading...". The 2 cameras are doing 30FPS (I know it's overkill). I gave the VM 4 cores and 4GB of RAM and it is still for the moment sufficient to handle the load. All of this is running in ESXi on a dual E5-2670 server so I don't think the CPU is underpowered for this.
The loading screen appears because you likely set the container to mp4...mp4 files cannot be played back unless the file is closed. You need to record to bvr for that capability. It has nothing to do with direct to disk.

eroji

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The loading screen appears because you likely set the container to mp4...mp4 files cannot be played back unless the file is closed. You need to record to bvr for that capability. It has nothing to do with direct to disk.
Yes I figured that out after I posted my reply lol. Thank you! Everything is working perfectly now. Feed and recordings play very smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk