layout issues

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've spent some time searching for layout issues hoping to find what i'm experiencing. Was able to find quite a bit of stuff regarding this topic but not quite what i was looking for. I've currently got 10 cameras, 1 of which is hidden in a group i've created. This equates to a perfect fit with 3 cams per row and 3 rows total. I was hoping to create a custom group with all 10 cams whereby 2 cams would be on one row (twice the size as the rest) and then have 2 more rows below this with the other 8 cameras (half the size as the top 2). In theory based on a 1920x1080 screen this should work with nothing in between each camera as a perfect fit. However i'm unable to get this to happen. Is this just not possible?

If I had 16 cameras then you should be able to have a perfect fit with a 4x4 layout so I would think you could do what i'm wanting effectively taking the first 2 rows with 8 cameras and instead having 2 larger camera windows replacing those again with a perfect fit.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you speak of "layout", do you mean the how it looks when viewing BI's webserver, called UI3, using a browser?

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you speak of "layout", do you mean the how it looks when viewing BI's webserver, called UI3, using a browser?
No, not in the UI but rather the actual program itself when displayed in full view on the computer.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Around 6 or maybe even more months ago BI was updated in terms of how the layout is edited and presented.

In previous release you could simply drag cams around and size until you were happy. With the update you have to click on the Edit Layout button which is along the top right.

This edit layout change I’ve not really managed to master or understand as I’ve not really understood some of the logic used. So for me I’ve never managed to get the layout the way I used to have prior to the update, I have tried but as the logic used isn’t known a harmless move of a cam results in all the other cams moving?

No real solution from me except to say get it to a view that you’re reasonably happy then save it and forget trying to mess with it as then you’ll spend wasted time trying to get back to where you originally were

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After stepping away from this for a while I was able to get what i wanted in the "console" view. I have a 10 camera layout with no gaps in between. First row has 2 cams taking up half the screen, 2nd and 3rd row have 4 cams each. Trick was to set the top 2 cams at a height of 2x then move cams to the green areas and not on the other cams.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This might help others.
This afternoon I must have inadvertently pressed a button on the mouse which messed up my camera layout of 7 cameras, an eighth has been configured in BI, later this week I'll get the ladders out to mount it on a wall. It's the Dahua 4MP mini PTZ.

I arrived at this thread looking for answers to the problem of moving one camera only for the layout to be shuffled.
What has at least got me back was in "Edit layout" after the green borders appear, choosing a camera to move with a right click, then selecting at the bottom of the box that opens "default layout".
This seemed to un-stick things, the result was that I could move my first chosen camera to the left lower of my 4x4 layout, then the next camera second from the left and etc without the cameras being shuffled.

What I did notice that my eighth camera configured but now currently disconnected to re-appeared in a black box with "Disabled" and it's IP address, whereas early I had a 4x3 layout. BI had blanked this disconnected camera after I had done the configurations. When camera 8 is working I'll have a full 4x4 layout.

Last edited: