Keep all clips until disk full, then only delete the boring stuff..

p3ter

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using Blue Iris happily (and in almost total ignorance) for a couple of years. My server is 'headless', i.e. it's in the Garage, with no monitor attached. It's also a Windows 10 Home license, so I don't even have Microsoft Remote Desktop possibility, so I am using VNC Viewer to remote access it. This makes for a rather laggy user experience, which means that I don't spend more time working on it than I need to. So after initial setup of Blue Iris (and probably a tribute to it's usability), apart from a few tweaks to the motion sensor/object detection/trigger zones & hot spot settings, I have basically totally ignored the program, and 99% of my experience with Blue Iris since then has been via UI3. And this has worked perfectly until I filled up a 4tb hard disk with clips, lost all my clips, and I realised I had no storage strategy :)

I am pretty happy with my level of positives vs false positives, and I have a workflow where I review and manually flag interesting alerts via UI3. Some of those alerts have been interesting enough for me to upload to Youtube to share with the family, so I don't feel like I have lost the crown jewels or anything, and I have a couple of years before it will happen again!

So... What I am looking for is basically in line with my rather lazy approach. Keep everything until the disk is basically full, then only delete "old and unflagged". But I can't see a way of achieving this. I can see 'Auto-Queue for backup when flagged', but this seems to want me to use an FTP server. Is there no equivalent "Auto move to a 'keepers' folder when manually flagged" functionality? And if not, is there an indirect way of achieve the same outcome?

p.s. I still really don't fully understand the difference between an 'Alert' and a 'Clip', but my ignorance in that area doesnt seem to have caused me any problems yet... Might be worth bearing that in mind when explaining your strategies though!

Thank you!

p3ter

n3wb
Reaction score
I think what I am looking for might be solved with a per camera setting:
  • Camera Settings, Trigger, When Triggered, Export When Flagged (modify settings) Export to --> Folder
Can anyone confirm?
i.e. setting this up as above should export a copy (or a reencode) of the flagged video into a seperate folder outside of the clip storage folders, which would therefore not be deleted according to the clip folder size allocation and Deletion settings.