Junction box / spacer for PFB203W (5442TM-AS)

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am mounting a Dahua 5442TM-AS on the exposed rafter under an eave using a PFB203W mount. Problem I am having is the facia is in view in the top corner of the image. Does anyone know of a junction box or spacer that mounts to the PFB203W and also the camera that would drop the camera down about an inch? I have a PFA130-E that would work if the holes lined up, but they do not. I suspect there are other junction boxes or mounts that work with the 5442TM-AS, but Dahua's website only list the PFA130-E.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Related question: the PFB203W has a notch that allows the camera to be only mounted in one position if I want to feed the cable through the mount. Unfortunately I need to clock the camera 45 degrees one way or the other. I had to cut an opening in another mount to achieve this (see picture), but is there a correct way to mount a camera 45 degrees instead of straight ahead? I do know the camera has some adjustability, but not enough for my uses, and I prefer to have the camera mostly set to its neutral position.

Attachments

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don‘t know if you plan to finish the installation with some type of vinyl or other material, but since you plan to mount the PFB203W to the exposed rafter, couldn’t you just attach a short piece of 2x6 to the rafter and then attach the Dahua mount to it? If you plan to trim it out later, use a piece of vinyl trim board as an extension.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
I don‘t know if you plan to finish the installation with some type of vinyl or other material, but since you plan to mount the PFB203W to the exposed rafter, couldn’t you just attach a short piece of 2x6 to the rafter and then attach the Dahua mount to it? If you plan to trim it out later, use a piece of vinyl trim board as an extension.
Thanks. Yes I thought about that, but I didn't feel it would look very good. Maybe I will revisit that idea.

I guess a better question to ask is: what is the proper / preferred method to mount a camera to an exposed rafter on an eave like this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 fits the 130 so why not drill 3 holes in the back of the 130 that will pass 3 screws thru, mark the 203 where those holes line up on it then drill and tap the 203 (it's aluminum), then screw the 130 to the 203?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am mounting a Dahua 5442TM-AS on the exposed rafter under an eave using a PFB203W mount. Problem I am having is the facia is in view in the top corner of the image. Does anyone know of a junction box or spacer that mounts to the PFB203W and also the camera that would drop the camera down about an inch? I have a PFA130-E that would work if the holes lined up, but they do not. I suspect there are other junction boxes or mounts that work with the 5442TM-AS, but Dahua's website only list the PFA130-E.

Thanks in advance
Hi @sduser

I would use my carpentry skills and a section of 2x6 to drop it down to where you need it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a short piece of 2x8, preferably treated (CCA). use a saber saw to cut out a circle to match the outside diameter of the camera. Drill a couple of hole for mounting screws and a center hole, if needed, for the network cable(3/4" may be necessary to accommodate the cable gland). Sand and paint to match either the soffit or camera. It doesn't need to be perfect since no one will be able to see it well enough to notice, other than you.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. Dropping down a piece of 2x6 from the rafter and making it look nice seems to be the easiest way. Plus it will block the camera view from my neighbor which will avoid any suspicions that I am watching them.

I appreciate the input, if there is any more please keep it coming.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all. Dropping down a piece of 2x6 from the rafter and making it look nice seems to be the easiest way. Plus it will block the camera view from my neighbor which will avoid any suspicions that I am watching them.

I appreciate the input, if there is any more please keep it coming.
Remember to test and check for any IR or light reflections which may impact the image before finalizing the setup and position.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would personally insist that the camera needs to be on the side facia. This would allow alight more light to the lens and alleviate any IR problems. Sometimes the cameras are good to be seen so to deter.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
I would personally insist that the camera needs to be on the side facia. This would allow alight more light to the lens and alleviate any IR problems. Sometimes the cameras are good to be seen so to deter.
Do you mean not to use the 2x6 and attach the mount directly to the facia (requiring a spacer or junction box)? The piece of 2x6 would attach to the side facia (behind the camera as shown in the pic).

With the 2x6 drop, the camera would still be visible from anyone on my property (at least in areas that I am concerned with), but blocked from my neighbor's view.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean not to use the 2x6 and attach the mount directly to the facia (requiring a spacer or junction box)? The piece of 2x6 would attach to the side facia (behind the camera as shown in the pic).

With the 2x6 drop, the camera would still be visible from anyone on my property (at least in areas that I am concerned with), but blocked from my neighbor's view.
I typically want to drop my cameras down some from the soffit area .. so I would drop from the rafter 2x8 ..

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
this is the view with the camera dropped an inch. Before the facia would be in view in the top right corner where the time stamp is (it was a hassle trying to keep up with DST so I keep everything in UTC and clearly indicate such so there is no question if I have to use footage as evidence).

1658859653549.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is the view with the camera dropped an inch. Before the facia would be in view in the top right corner where the time stamp is (it was a hassle trying to keep up with DST so I keep everything in UTC and clearly indicate such so there is no question if I have to use footage as evidence).

View attachment 134559
Do you have any IR reflections at night from the facia?