IVS Surveillance HDD's

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looney2ns said:
Buy the 4tb, you will be glad you did.
In researching the Western Digital (which I am partial to WD) 4TB 256 cache I noticed it utilizes SMR technology vs IVS. That, I don't like. Is there another brand you might suggest looney2ns or anyone else? I realize WD was not suggested but I used that terminology in my question anyway.

MarvinK

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No need cluttering up the forum with the same question twice...

What is your reluctance to industry standard WD Purple Surveillance drives that use CMR and not SMR? They are certainly better than your first adventure into cameras with Reolinks LOL

Plus IVS Surveillance refers to the software being used, not the type of drive process. It stands for Intelligent Video Surveillance and the cameras we recommended have IVS built in.

Last edited:

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No need cluttering up the forum with the same question twice...
My reasoning was to not inject new component discussion in a camera based thread. The only mistake was forgetting to go back and delete the one in the camera thread. My apologies to the forum. Unintentional and totally my bad.

MarvinK

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your reluctance to industry standard WD Purple Surveillance drives that use CMR and not SMR? They are certainly better than your first adventure into cameras with Reolinks LOL

Plus IVS Surveillance refers to the software being used, not the type of drive process. It stands for Intelligent Video Surveillance and the cameras we recommended have IVS built in.
No reluctance; just not understanding the full gamut and jumped at a terminology I knew little about but thought it was pertinent somehow. So now I have to study CMR. However, I did read an article that said something about SMR being inefficient in the way it operates. But, don't ask me what article 'cause at this moment in my adventure I'm that sharp of a tool in the shed. Geez, am I funny. I have no idea why I'm chasing surveillance complexities when I could save a whole lot of time and just be a comedian. :idk:

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WD was sued for advertising that SMR was OK for WD Red drive used on NAS, and apparently another division (HGST) stated it's not suitable for NAS.

FWIW, it states in this chart, furnished by WD 2 years ago, that the surveillance-rated WD Purple uses CMR, not SMR as you stated.
Oke Doke, got it. Thanks. Here's the article I was talking about. Article -AND- Section 2.2 states here where I got the SMR data for the purple 4TB

I guess what I'm doing is trying to cut corners rather than becoming a Wiki on most stuff. Just want to get up and running. Got all my cameras today but still have to change out the 2TB HDD to 4TB.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So now I have to study CMR.
It's pretty simple really.

Smr drives are cheaper but less suitable for sustained writes. Which if you consider the constant flow of data from a video stream makes them less suitable for use in a surveillance system unless you wish to use them for long term archive storage of your video in which case they'll be good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just go with the WD purple and be done with it LOL.

Or go the cheaper route and probably be fine as well LOL. Most consumer grade NVRs throw in lower end HDDs in the units and they far outlast the NVR LOL.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading the article I mentioned and the one looktall suggested I get the picture. Pun I guess. Thanks for the help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oke Doke, got it. Thanks. Here's the article I was talking about. Article -AND- Section 2.2 states here where I got the SMR data for the purple 4TB

I guess what I'm doing is trying to cut corners rather than becoming a Wiki on most stuff. Just want to get up and running. Got all my cameras today but still have to change out the 2TB HDD to 4TB.
LOL nowhere in that blog article by SEAGATE did it mention drives were IVS. It mentioned using IVS (AI in your system somewhere whether it be cameras on the VMS) to provide a more robust system.

And we told you what to buy LOL, but your paralysis by analysis is causing you to become the wiki you are trying to avoid LOL.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL nowhere in that blog article by SEAGATE did it mention drives were IVS. It mentioned using IVS (AI in your system somewhere whether it be cameras on the VMS) to provide a more robust system.
And we told you what to buy LOL, but your paralysis by analysis is causing you to become the wiki you are trying to avoid LOL.
Okay okay already :D :) you win! However, I just want to have a little fun and say the following (In no way am I trying jab you or anyone else) . . . posts 7, 8, 9, and 10 came after post 6 by me. Telling me what to buy came after I made post 6. I just had to get one up. Anyway, I was quick to take your advice and just go with the 4TB purple which I will order today. By the way do you all like the WD Purple better than others; if not what others do you forum-ers prefer?

You are also right on my paralysis. Also has been a fault of mine to sometimes jump too soon on some subject matters.

Also, I have no problem with people bearing down on me. How else does one in life learn, no matter one's age??? . . . IF, IF, and IF again people have the where-with-all to handle constructive criticism mixed with some jabs. I hate forum vengeance and appreciate your forum being versatile in interaction. Anyway as you all get to know me, I Just wanted to say that so you all know up front I will not ever pick a fight or get all upset and crappy because someone corrects me. Thanks for a great forum within a rising marketplace necessity product. See how quickly I can jump away from being a comedian. Now I'm a philosopher. :clap::wave::rofl::cool: (yep I wear glasses)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I will give you that one as we didn't suggest a drive until you asked.

You will get along great here! We have too many NOOB come here with their mind already made up on getting a Reolink or cloud based or a problem they are having and asking for answers and they get an answer that doesn't fit what they were hoping for and go all crazy LOL.

Unlike you, some bought Reolink and then missed the return deadline and then came here trying to get affirmation that Reolinks are a good choice LOL.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way do you all like the WD Purple better than others; if not what others do you forum-ers prefer?
I've been considering getting a new larger drive for my NVR and I've been looking at the Seagate Skyhawk.
Performance wise they look pretty similar to the WD purple, probably slightly ahead in fact and pricewise they come in cheaper.