IVS by Recorder

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am setting up a new Dahua DHI-NVR5232-EI NVR. The specs for this unit call for 4 channels of NVR controlled IVS and 16 channels through the camera interfaces.

I have an IVS channel set up through one of the cameras, but so far have not been able to use any channel with IVS controlled by the NVR.

Most of my cameras are not IVS capable, so it would be helpful to use the NVR for all 4 available channels.

Out of ideas. Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

Tony

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I have just set up a test for IVS by recorder and I was able to get the IVS to trip when I turned down the sensitivity to 1 and have both directions enabled.
It was not very reliable and only tripped a few times, I also tried to turn off the target filter.
It definitely does not work as good as it should and no comparison to a camera that has it.

The FD works very well by recorder.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know the model # of the NVR that you have? I'd be interested to look up the specs on it.

My particular NVR should be able to handle 4 IVS channels by recorder, but so far none will work.
When I attempt to set any of them up, I get the message that "maximum AI capacity has been reached".

The good news is that I'm able to use all 8 of the SMD channels by recorder and the reliability for those has been really good...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that using the AI in the NVR instead of the cameras can cut the "capacity" of the NVR in half for some of the key parameters.

Getting "maximum AI capacity has been reached" error means that you are using the NVR AI for too many things.

And as pointed out, in some instances it can be spotty and not as good as a camera that has AI.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know the model # of the NVR that you have? I'd be interested to look up the specs on it.

My particular NVR should be able to handle 4 IVS channels by recorder, but so far none will work.
When I attempt to set any of them up, I get the message that "maximum AI capacity has been reached".

The good news is that I'm able to use all 8 of the SMD channels by recorder and the reliability for those has been really good...
That may be the issue. SMD is simply another AI tool. You may find you can’t run it and IVS simultaneously on the same channel.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm only using SMD on 8 channels (as per the stated NVR specs) with nothing else running on them.

If I can't use any other 4 channels for IVS by recorder (which is also allowed per specs),
then it sounds as if the stated specs for the unit are pretty much worthless and wrong???

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here don't use SMD because it sucks compared to IVS.

Keep in mind many of these options are one or the other, even in the camera. Maybe the spec isn't as clear as it could be, but those that use them recognize you can't use multiple features at the same time.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Understood. I've had little experience with either SMD or IVS. What are the main drawbacks to SMD?

If I convert to IVS rules on the recorder instead of SMD will it use less AI resources?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Same resources, better detection with less false alerts.
SMD is just an AI layer on tiop of regular MD. It detects the entire scene only, no zones, and with no directional element

IVS is way superior.

So yes what I'm saying is try turning off SMD on a channel and instead using IVS on that channel and see if it works, it should