Is this NVR selection satisfying? (Dahua or an alternative) ?

loe22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

currently I am planning a system for a friend. I need some input regarding NVR because personally I am using frigate as NVR in combination with different Dahua and EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T cameras.

For my friend we planned for the initial phase with 5x EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T cameras in combination with one of the following NVR’s:

1. Dahua NVR5208-8P-XI (afaik newest version and most likely ready for the future)
  2. Dahua NVR5208-8P-EI (afaik previous version with less AI functionality, but still enough for planned setup)
  3. Is there an alternative provided from EmpireTech ?
    Only NVR with POE I found is the “NVR16CH-16P-2AI” (New Arrivals NVR16CH-16P-2AI 16 Channels 1U 16PoE 2HDD Network Video Recorder - IP Cam Talk Store).
    If I am right, this is a labeled Dahua NVR5216-16P-EI ( )
What do you think regarding this NVR’s ?
Is my understanding right ?

Thank you and best regards

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep you’re on the right track.

Note the difference between the first two is simply the AI capability of the NVR. This is in addition to the AI of the camera. Generally speaking the camera is where you want to do your AI. When you enable AI functions on the recorder, you lose 1/2 of the bandwidth capacity.

loe22

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much!
That means, the AI functionality of the NVR is not so important when its done by the camera and the EI is enough, right ?
Is there an EmpireTech branded alternative to NVR5208-8P-EI /NVR5208-8P-XI ?

Gdc

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there an EmpireTech branded alternative to NVR5208-8P-EI /NVR5208-8P-XI
The NVR5208-8P-XI looks like a real weapon when it comes to AI capability in the NVR. My take is you could use 8 dumb cameras and the NVR will take care of all the AI smarts. They do seem hard to get hold of stock from what I can tell.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR5208-8P-XI looks like a real weapon when it comes to AI capability in the NVR. My take is you could use 8 dumb cameras and the NVR will take care of all the AI smarts. They do seem hard to get hold of stock from what I can tell.
iirc NVR w/AI have limits on how many streams they can process with AI .. so do double check the specs ..

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  1. Dahua NVR5208-8P-XI (afaik newest version and most likely ready for the future)
  2. Dahua NVR5208-8P-EI (afaik previous version with less AI functionality, but still enough for planned setup)
XI line have a bigger AI processor, which allows offloads AI functions from cam...

Color4K cams have AI SMD/IVS with human/vehicle filtering, which is done on cam...
For that You can use any modern Dahua NVR, which will only record AI events and allows to search/playback them..

Difference will be if You want to add another AI function to cam (modern AI cams usually can do only one at once).
Like Video Meta Data - where cam or NVR describe visual features of humans/cars (height, color, cloth, face, car brand or plate etc)..

Also in case of AcuPick cams (5442-S3 cams or newest Color4K-S2 which Andy don't have yet) You can even mix SMD/IVS with AcuPick and VideoMetaData...

Last one function is tested by me on 6xx-XI line, 5xxx-XI is to new and I didn't have possibility to test it..

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is Empire Tech’s website. I am running the NVR16CH-16P-2AI. It is a great NVR and he also has it in the 8 channel.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PS. never buy 8 port versions of NVR... they will limit You very fast... 16 port is minimum - to have space to grow... price difference especially at empire tech shop is minimal...
Highly recommended advice by @steve1225 here ..

Always go with the larger NVR than the number of cameras you expect to get ..

I like the 2x rule ..

For example, expect to get 4 cameras, get at least a 8 port NVR
Expect to get 5 cameras .. get 10 port NVR .. as they only make 8, 16 port NVRS .. round up to 16 port NVR