Is there a set of proven / recommended installation steps for mounting a PoE camera onto Stucco?

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live in a 30+ year old house. The standard walls back then were 2x6 construction, fiberglass insulation, 1/2-inch drywall for the the inside walls and stucco on the outside wall.

Having not yet installed even my 1st camera yet, I'm wondering if there are recommended steps for the layman to install a PoE camera on an outside wall. Some questions I have:

1) Do people put a junction box outside to hold the clump of wire that consists of the ethernet cable coming from the house, the RJ45 jack, the unused power connector and the few inches of cable that comes out of the camera? Or do people drill a hole in the wall big enough to bring that clump inside? If the was mounted to the underside of a soffit, that'd be a no-brainer. I could just have the clump behind the soffit. But the wall is somewhat thick and I'd hate to have to drill a 1-inch hole in the wall to bring the clump inside the house. A 3/8 hole for just the ethernet cable would be much easier to drill, especially through the stucco.

2) in some places on my house, there is brickwork that I would want to avoid needing to drill through. And so while the camera would be mounted on the bricks, the cabling could extend some ways before I get to a place that's easier to drill. Should I armor the cable on the wall to prevent tampering/cutting? And if "yes", what could I use? Conduit?

3) I've been reading about how security cameras mounted high up would capture an image only of the top of a person's head and would be poor for identification. So I'm going to mount the cameras for identification lower than I originally thought. But I'm thinking too low would leave them vulnerable to damage/tampering. What's the recommended height for a turret camera mounted on a wall or above a door?