Is there a good site with solid advice on placement of cameras?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have about one-acre property and long house with 3 entrances plus garage. I am up to 6 cameras and I still feel I don't have solid coverage. There are still large swaths of property not covered. Not really worried about crime, because I am in a safe neighborhood. I am just the kind of person who likes to know what is up around my house at all times.

Any good sites I can learn up a bit more about the best practices?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is good but all advice given anywhere will be site-specific. Every place is different, so only you will know what you want covered. My personal rule of thumb is one wide-angle over every entrance, something with a longer lens covering every driveway and distant gate, and then add cameras for important areas of interest like places where kids play, expensive stuff is parked, accessible windows, garage interiors, et cetera. Play with ipvm.com/calculator to get a feel for what you need as far as lenses and ppf from where you mount the cams.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not really a best practices page but it seems to be a pretty accurate calculator for resolution, sensor size, lens size, FoV, etc. The free version only allows one camera to be placed at a time but you can pay to become a member with multiple cameras as well as other benefits.

http://ipvm.com/calculator

Enjoy

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh that site is actually really helpful. All but one camera I have is 2.8MM. May need to to swap out some, since I am not getting clarity of images I want.