is 2 switches better than 1?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently running my cameras on an old Cisco 3560 POE switch with a 1Gb SFP uplink to an HP 1800.

Does it make sense to get a single GB POE switch and combine them into one?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm currently running my cameras on an old Cisco 3560 POE switch with a 1Gb SFP uplink to an HP 1800.

Does it make sense to get a single GB POE switch and combine them into one?
It depends :) Back in the days, I liked to "split" my network in some kind of high available setup, if one switch brook, I still had the other stuff running on the backup one. But these switches last for years, so I nailed down my precious downtime to power cuts, which now got eliminated by having a nice UPS. So in my case, I try to consolidate to 1 managed switch, with enough ports to fiddle with :)

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is also my thoughts, I'm using the Cisco switch because I had it laying around. I run a 1500VA UPS on the switches and another same UPS on the PC running BI. I've had no unplanned downtime.

The drivin factor if this is really to save a few watts. I pull an average of 1300w at any given time @ $0.25 a kWh on the low tier, it adds up rather quickly. Saving 100w here, 50w there will add up. Especially, these old Cisco switches aren't exactly power efficient.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
This is also my thoughts, I'm using the Cisco switch because I had it laying around. I run a 1500VA UPS on the switches and another same UPS on the PC running BI. I've had no unplanned downtime.

The drivin factor if this is really to save a few watts. I pull an average of 1300w at any given time @ $0.25 a kWh on the low tier, it adds up rather quickly. Saving 100w here, 50w there will add up. Especially, these old Cisco switches aren't exactly power efficient.
That's true, but if you evaluate the cost/benefit: a cisco can run with uptimes over 300 days, a home&garden tp-router may crash once every week. I've got solar power cells, they give me enough to cover any electricity loss.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's true, but if you evaluate the cost/benefit: a cisco can run with uptimes over 300 days, a home&garden tp-router may crash once every week. I've got solar power cells, they give me enough to cover any electricity loss.
I too have PV solar, but didn't think of the future addition of an EV. I used to be in the positive net metering but been having to pya out of pocket.

My HP switch uptime is identical to the Cisco. If I were to replace the POE switch, I'd probably end up with a 48 port POE Cisco switch.

There's just an uneasy feeling when I see my total power consumption over 1kWh.