IPC-T2231T-ZS

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a newer / better firmware for this cam? Also, I’m getting a large circular “whitewash” area at night. I saw some posts suggesting problems with IR in this model?. Did I make a poor choice? Thanks.

Attachments

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Also cannot find proper PTZ settings in BI 5 to zoom - works fine in direct camera settings. Thx.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect you are on default auto settings for the camera? If so that is part of the problem.

Also this is not a PTZ camera and it is intended to be a set it and forget it zoom. It is not designed to be constantly changed. You should set it within the camera GUI and leave it alone. It is not intended to be adjusted in Blue Iris...some have reported being able to, but you really shouldn't. Occasional corrections are okay but it's not meant to be zoomed in/out with the frequency of a PTZ camera designed with that ability.

Take it off auto settings at night unless you like seeing Casper and blurring and IR hotspots. Auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting. Even in the day auto settings are usually not your friend.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice that happens immediately is your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Last edited:

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
I suspect you are on default auto settings for the camera? If so that is part of the problem.

Also this is not a PTZ camera and it is intended to be a set it and forget it zoom. It is not designed to be constantly changed. You should set it within the camera GUI and leave it alone. It is not intended to be adjusted in Blue Iris...some have reported being able to, but you really shouldn't. Occasional corrections are okay but it's not meant to be zoomed in/out with the frequency of a PTZ camera designed with that ability.

Take it off auto settings at night unless you like seeing Casper and blurring and IR hotspots. Auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting. Even in the day auto settings are usually not your friend.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice that happens immediately is your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 25-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.
Thanks, I will go for manual settings (I guess a profile for night and one for daytime as others have suggested?). I’m quite a newb so I do have many things set as default. I know this isn’t a PTZ, just a “Z” but my original Starlight varifocal has none of these issues, including having no problem with BI zoom. The image I’m referring to is just a static image without motion. I’ll post an image.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you should set up a day and profile for each camera within the camera GUI - the profiles in BI will not change those settings like shutter, contrast, etc.

As I mentioned, some cameras can use the BI Zoom, but it doesn't mean you should. This camera is a set it and forget it type of camera.

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks - I have a lot to learn as I thought the purpose of BI was to control some of these settings for me! I will spend some more time trying to learn from which interface I should be setting which controls! Thanks again!
Dan