IPC-Color4K-T stops snapshotting to SD card

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought the IPC-Color4K-T, updated to the latest firmware V3.120.0000000.39.R, Build Date: 2023-09-18. I have it configured to record video and snapshots to the SD card during SMD or IVS-rule events.
I noticed that it sometimes stops recording snapshots during events and won't start again until I reboot the camera. I have an SD card installed. Video of events is recorded to the SD card fine, even after the camera stops recording snapshots.

Any ideas what might be going on or how to diagnose? I was wondering if the "Advanced maintenance -> Run Log" might have anything, but those files seem to be compressed with an unknown compression scheme.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Josh

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I've tried two different SD cards, both U3 / V30. The first was Samsung Pro Plus 128GB. And I just now tried a Samsung Pro Endurance 256 GB.
With the Pro Endurance, I just had an IVS event, but it didn't start recording snapshots until about 15 seconds after the start of the event.
EDIT: just saw it stopped recording snapshots an hour ago, though there have been a number of IVS events in that interval, along with recorded video segments from the IVS events.
I don't have any AI enabled except two IVS rules and SMD.
I'd even thought of looking at the "Advanced Maintenance"->"Run Logs", to see if there were any errors in them, but they're compressed somehow.
Oh, I'll also add that I've not had problems with Samsung Pro Endurance in my other Dahua cameras.

I wonder if it's a firmware issue? Do you know if I can flash the native Dahua firmware for the IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can flash Dahua firmware on Andy's cams.

Doubt that fixes it unless the release notes specifically state that, and Andy's is probably newer regardless of what the build date is for the Dahua (they are usually brought and tested here first before Dahua decides whether to push it out, so when they do it is months later and thus a more recent month for something we have had for months).

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you can flash Dahua firmware on Andy's cams.

Doubt that fixes it unless the release notes specifically state that, and Andy's is probably newer regardless of what the build date is for the Dahua (they are usually brought and tested here first before Dahua decides whether to push it out, so when they do it is months later and thus a more recent month for something we have had for months).
I saw your comment in another thread about CPU maxing out causing problems.
How can I check the CPU usage?
I'm running 10 FPS, with 2 IVS-rules and SMD, and H265 (maybe the H265 is stressing it out?).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There isn't an easy way with Dahua to see the CPU usage - someone here once figured out how to get some rudimentary numbers out, but it involved a lot of stuff to get it. I will have to see if I can find that thread - I thought I bookmarked it, but didn't.

Yeah sometimes the smallest thing can cause an issue.

Most of us have found to use either IVS or SMD, not both. So I would try turning one off.

Also H265 does take more camera CPU to process, so try H264 as well.

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
I turned off SMD and motion detection and all substreams. So I have just H265 on the main stream and two IVS rules on. And it is still stopping snapshotting. I can't believe that that is too much to ask of the CPU. Hrm.
Josh

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to read out CPU load and memory usage, (using the 37777 interface).
CPU usage hovers around 45%, and not much that I do seems to affect it, including enabling SMD or switching to H264.
It's quite possible that it could be the hardware doing the JPEG or H264/H265 processing that's getting maxed out, rather than the main CPU itself. I can't find any interface to ask how the other hardware is doing.
J

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this, I ended up doing a hard reset (holding that button by the SD-card for 10 seconds), and now snapshotting seems to be working more consistently. And I've kept SMD disabled so am only using IVS.