IP Camera & Radar with "Vehicle Speed" overlay?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a client looking for a camera/radar combo so to speak. They want to place an IP camera at the entrance of there neighborhood to capture cars and there speed as they enter/exit. They are not worried about reading license plates as simply seeing the car will surfice so a 1mp camera would be fine. Basically they are looking to shame the teenage drivers (as well as adults) and confront the parents of said drivers for flying in and out of the neighborhood that already has a reasonable 25mph speed limit posting. I have power and internet in an unmanned guard house at the entry.

I haven't been able to find any hardware that would do this, any recommendations? The best thing I have seen is a German program called Speedcam 2014 however the software appears to be in German and I am apprehensive about it after watching the video that shows the program in all German and appears to have a "rough" interface to work in. Also doesn't outright show support for IP/ONVIF cameras. http://www.raserabwehr.de/

Last edited by a moderator:

WatchIt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Zero,
I just had a look at the German page (I can read german). The page is completely in english and german. Also their softwre should be in both languages and they write, they will support in english. There is no demo software, so I can't test it.
Excuse my english, my german is better.
Ingo

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @WatchIt after I posted I found the English version with English screen shots. The first part I looked at was for speed cam 2012, once I found the 2014 page it gave more detailed info. I emailed them and they responded in very broken English saying speed cam pro would do what I need, I asked where to get it because speed cam 2014 is all I see on the site and I have yet to receive a response, that was two days ago...

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I clicked the buy it now online link for SpeedCam2014 out of curiosity and was very surprised to see it came in at less that AU$100. The concept seems simple enough. Overlay three lines on your video stream, tell the program how far apart those lines are, and the program calculates speed.

What I wonder is how well this program works at night when video quality starts to go south, and you have headlights to deal with. From what I can see based on the limited information available on the page the accuracy of the software would be very dependant on knowing exactly when the forward edge of the vehicle crosses each line, and that a very low light HD camera, running a high shutter speed, and a high frame rate would give best results. Something like a Bosch Dinion 8000 Starlight or a 6 Series Darkfighter. Lots of lighting in the scene at night to ensure that the camera can accurately discern the edges of the vehicle, and is not just picking up the throw of the headlights, seems like a must too.