IP Camera Help

Reaction score
I just leased an apartment that has 2 security cameras already installed. The rental company doesn't know anything about them other than they showed me where the wires come into the unit. I found the two wires, clearly labeled "camera", and they are bare ethernet wires. I tried putting RJ45 ends on them (568b wiring) and connecting to a POE switch but was not able to see them on the network. Any suggestions on what I can do, or at least how to find the manufacturer of the cameras to look for documentation?

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
When it is dark outside, connect the cameras to the POE switch and go outside and look at the cameras through your cell phone's camera. You should be able to see if the IR illuminator is on. If they are on, then I would suspect the cameras are powered on and booting properly. It's likely that their "expected" network ip address range is outside of the range of your current network. For example, your local network might use a 192.168.1.X address scheme and the cameras expect to see a 192.168.0.X scheme.

It's going to be hard to know what the camera is looking for without an idea of what brand of camera it is. Can you remove the camera to see if there is any identification anywhere?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just leased an apartment that has 2 security cameras already installed. The rental company doesn't know anything about them other than they showed me where the wires come into the unit. I found the two wires, clearly labeled "camera", and they are bare ethernet wires. I tried putting RJ45 ends on them (568b wiring) and connecting to a POE switch but was not able to see them on the network. Any suggestions on what I can do, or at least how to find the manufacturer of the cameras to look for documentation?
I wouldn't bet my own life on it, but I get the feeling those are analog cams, even though you said you found some "ethernet" wires. If they IP cams but are Zmodo, Sannce or Funlux they could be "sPOE" (Simplified Power over Ethernet) which is not 802.3af compatible.....and they are NOT decent cams.

I know that's not much help but it's all I got. Hopefully someone will recognize them and offer better info.

Reaction score
I wouldn't bet my own life on it, but I get the feeling those are analog cams, even though you said you found some "ethernet" wires. If they IP cams but are Zmodo, Sannce or Funlux they could be "sPOE" (Simplified Power over Ethernet) which is not 802.3af compatible.....and they are NOT decent cams.

I know that's not much help but it's all I got. Hopefully someone will recognize them and offer better info.
thanks so much for the reply. I was able to remove one of the cameras and I think you are right, they don't look like IP cameras afterall. I think I got some bad info...

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks so much for the reply. I was able to remove one of the cameras and I think you are right, they don't look like IP cameras afterall. I think I got some bad info...
Hi @ipcamnewb333

I am wondering if most of the run is coax / siamese cable or if the cat5e is close to the walls ..

If cat5e cable can be pulled out you can try to replace the cameras with a IP PoE camera .. or perhaps just get better coax cctv bnc cameras and a DVR ..

1651107895671.png