Internet speed: I finally have something to brag about!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this even after searching for a few minute so I said to myself "Aw, never mind...just go ahead a post it somewhere" so here it is:

Local power company's fiber subsidiary put in my fiber yesterday. It's been a 2 year wait but it's worth it. I have 1GB up/down that after overhead shows the following 901Mbps down / 936 Mbps up. I've got a static PUBLIC IP address with no CGNAT . The service is $79/mo + $10/mo. for the static IP. Man, am I stoked. After listening to folks on this forum, some even in rural areas, with UP/down better than 100Mbps I no longer have to feel like the red-headed step child, After experiencing the crappy 1.5 Mbps down 512K up DSL (yes, not a typo) for 10 years that went down when a squirrel farted I am, again, stoked! Our Internet for the longest time was akin to 2 Dixie (or Solo) cups and some string. The AT&T Fixed Wireless with 35 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up I've had since Nov. 2019 has been decent but it was CGNAT with no public IP. :lol::cool::rofl::D

sprout-fiber_speedtest_092822.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had previously been on ADSL for about 10 years. 20mb down and 0.8mb up was the norm.
1664500644008.png

Absolute laugh comparing to the computer room at my high school which had a 700mb/650mb connection on a speed test.
1664500531637.png

Now I have finally got fibre installed 3 weeks ago, my plan gets me 300mb down and 100mb up.
I don't know my University's speed because my laptop tops out at the max 5Ghz WiFi does.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We’re looking forward to moving to our home in Port St Lucie - AT&T now has 1GB fibre, up/down! Just a month or so ago, the best they could offer was 100/100 so competition is spurring the need to meet customers’s expectations.
I pay comcast business 250 a month for 75/15 and one phone line used for fax. I know the pain. A few towns over where there is fios competition I can get that for 60 bux from optimum. The truth is unless you have many people streaming simultaneously 25/10 is more than sufficient.

Reaction score
Market saturation has a lot to do with the improvements.

In 2005 we set off on our great adventure. We spent 10 years full timing in our 5th wheel. Back then, I was happy-ish to have unlimited 3g from Verizon. However, the 3g that connected to our router plus two phones was about $275/mo. Aww, how things have changed.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We’re looking forward to moving to our home in Port St Lucie - AT&T now has 1GB fibre, up/down! Just a month or so ago, the best they could offer was 100/100 so competition is spurring the need to meet customers’s expectations.
Great!
Here's hoping that Hurricane Ian didn't set the schedule for that 1GB back too far!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Sweet....tomorrow they plan to roll out 10gbps :rofl:

Hopefully, they offer multiple package tiers with higher speeds in the road ahead.

They are still rolling out GPON across the country as far as fiber optics go. However, some metropolitan areas are in the process of rolling out NGPON (next gen) to offer even higher speeds

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I still remember when I hopped onto Earthlink Broadband in 2003. Huge leap ahead of its time (went from dial up to 5mbps connection). I remember when it started in the single digit range and quickly ramped up to three-digit range over the years. Waiting to make that leap beyond 1000mbps :p

Market saturation has a lot to do with the improvements.

In 2005 we set off on our great adventure. We spent 10 years full timing in our 5th wheel. Back then, I was happy-ish to have unlimited 3g from Verizon. However, the 3g that connected to our router plus two phones was about $275/mo. Aww, how things have changed.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this even after searching for a few minute so I said to myself "Aw, never mind...just go ahead a post it somewhere" so here it is:

Local power company's fiber subsidiary put in my fiber yesterday. It's been a 2 year wait but it's worth it. I have 1GB up/down that after overhead shows the following 901Mbps down / 936 Mbps up. I've got a static PUBLIC IP address with no CGNAT . The service is $79/mo + $10/mo. for the static IP. Man, am I stoked. After listening to folks on this forum, some even in rural areas, with UP/down better than 100Mbps I no longer have to feel like the red-headed step child, After experiencing the crappy 1.5 Mbps down 512K up DSL (yes, not a typo) for 10 years that went down when a squirrel farted I am, again, stoked! Our Internet for the longest time was akin to 2 Dixie (or Solo) cups and some string. The AT&T Fixed Wireless with 35 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up I've had since Nov. 2019 has been decent but it was CGNAT with no public IP. :lol::cool::rofl::D

View attachment 141207
:banghead::clap:. I’m still at about what you had. On the last end trails of AT&T’s Uvers.