Intel i5-6500 blue iris 5 cam 4mp setup

Vick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I looked all over the forum but couldn't find my answer so please help if u can.
I have 5 reolink 4mp cameras (yes i know most people don't like reolink but i cant return them lol)
currently running on my main machine which is an i7 6 core and it barley uses 20% cpu.
i want to build a stand alone system just to run BI , record 24/7.
I was wondering if an i5 would be enough to handle 5 or max 8 4mp cameras?
if so which i5 would be the best ?
Thank you all in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for answering my question.
Do you think a normal 7200rpm HDD will be ok for 24/7 recroding with BI ? I want to get like 2 or 4 TB and getting that in sdd will be super expensive.
No need for an ssd for recording..if you are buying a drive, go with a WD purple....use an small 250 gb ssd for windows and blue iris software....that will make the system snappy and a pleasure to work with..

stoneyc

n3wb
Reaction score
most people don't no what nthere talking about if they don't like he reolink cameras blue iris has fixed the issues with reolink cameras just get the newest version of blue iris mine all work fine with blue iris even the reolink wifi camera I have which is a great camera no dropped connection issues

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
most people don't no what nthere talking about if they don't like he reolink cameras blue iris has fixed the issues with reolink cameras just get the newest version of blue iris mine all work fine with blue iris even the reolink wifi camera I have which is a great camera no dropped connection issues
The issue is NOT fixed..stop misrepresenting the facts - setting compression to baseline is NOT a solution...even if it is fixed there are MUCH better options than reolink...the dahua starlights and hikvision low light cameras blow them away...reolink as a company lies to its customers and attempts to spam forums like this one. No one should EVER buy their garbage. Only an uninformed amateur like you would recommend it. Stop misleading others.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this is an old post..but I was also looking into the i5-6500.. I am on the fence between the i7-6700 which is about $100 more than the i5-6500 system.. I only have 6 cameras at 1080p.. so this means I can save $100 and just get the i5-6500 then.
My internet sucks anyways (I live in the middle of nowhere), so I can't really have more than 6 cams anyway. - Glad I saw this post.