Install/Wiring Question on Outdoor VideoIQ PTZ Camera

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently gave me a security camera that he no longer needs for his business and I'd like to install it on one of my properties. The problem is I don't really know which one it actually is nor how to properly install it - this is where you guys come in! ;)

I've attached 4 images of everything it came with (sorry they're a little blurry). On the outside it says "Dotworkz" and then when I open up the enclosure where the camera is, it says "VideoIQ ". It looks like it's all hooked up and ready to run including 2 way audio. There is also a black box inside that says "audio interface adapter IF-1" by Louroe Electronics.

Here's my main issue - As you can tell in one of the pictures, the grey and blue wire that run out of the camera have been cut so I'm not sure where they would need to go to. I'm assuming one is for power and the other is for data. I don't have a DVR as of yet but don't really care about recording at the moment. I would just like to connect it to a monitor so I can see what's going on in real time on my lot. I also found a PTZ control box thingy to actually move the camera but not sure how I would connect all of this together. What all do I need, including power requirements? PoE?

I hope this all makes sense as I'm trying to rush through this on my phone during my lunch break... I can be more clear/thorough when I get home and am in front of my computer. I really appreciate any help I can get in advance!

Thanks!!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently gave me a security camera that he no longer needs for his business and I'd like to install it on one of my properties. The problem is I don't really know which one it actually is nor how to properly install it - this is where you guys come in! ;)

I've attached 4 images of everything it came with (sorry they're a little blurry). On the outside it says "Dotworkz" and then when I open up the enclosure where the camera is, it says "VideoIQ ". It looks like it's all hooked up and ready to run including 2 way audio. There is also a black box inside that says "audio interface adapter IF-1" by Louroe Electronics.

Here's my main issue - As you can tell in one of the pictures, the grey and blue wire that run out of the camera have been cut so I'm not sure where they would need to go to. I'm assuming one is for power and the other is for data. I don't have a DVR as of yet but don't really care about recording at the moment. I would just like to connect it to a monitor so I can see what's going on in real time on my lot. I also found a PTZ control box thingy to actually move the camera but not sure how I would connect all of this together. What all do I need, including power requirements? PoE?

I hope this all makes sense as I'm trying to rush through this on my phone during my lunch break... I can be more clear/thorough when I get home and am in front of my computer. I really appreciate any help I can get in advance!

Thanks!!
The images are not good enough to even determine if its an ip camera. Those cables can be anything.

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
The images are not good enough to even determine if its an ip camera. Those cables can be anything.
I've attached new pictures which are a lot better than the original ones. Sorry, camera on phone was acting up.

Attachments

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
Your friend gave it to you for a reason. Spend $100 a get a good, new camera that can be supported, has an SD card, and we can help you set up.
I have no problem spending money to buy a new camera but that isn't really what I'm after. I'm more interested in just learning more about this which is why I'd like to use this camera as my guinea pig. Unfortunately, I lost the number to the guy I received it from and have no way of getting a hold of him.

So how would I go about this? Just to clarify, my main goal is just to get this connected to a monitor to view and hopefully control the PTZ functionality using the controller. I'll add a DVR and whatever else I need later but first I just want to get the basics down of getting it powered and setup on a monitor.

Hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to do now and can help - it'd be greatly appreciated! :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Where do the wires go to in the enclosure and how many conductors in each? They grey may be power if there are two conductors, it may also be the ptz controls. The camera may be a GE kalatel or a velux. When we started in 2010, we took down and replaced quite a few different PTZ like this one. They had separate translator boxes for the rs485 controls. Each company had their own language which made PTZs complicated to use. I would try to power the camera up and see if it cycles first before you put to much time into it. It should do a full 360 spin then go up and down.

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
Where do the wires go to in the enclosure and how many conductors in each? They grey may be power if there are two conductors, it may also be the ptz controls. The camera may be a GE kalatel or a velux. When we started in 2010, we took down and replaced quite a few different PTZ like this one. They had separate translator boxes for the rs485 controls. Each company had their own language which made PTZs complicated to use. I would try to power the camera up and see if it cycles first before you put to much time into it. It should do a full 360 spin then go up and down.
Thanks for the help! I just attached attached a few more images showing the inside of the enclosure and where the cords go to in there. The blue cord goes to the camera and then the grey splits (green & white go to camera and the red & black go to audio box/microphone.

You suggested trying to power it up but since the cords were cut, do I just need to wire a 12v DC power adapter? Or what do you suggest I do to try to power it on to even see if it cycles? Thanks again!

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to identify the model of the camera, the easiest thing would be to remove it from the enclosure. There's probably a label on the top of the actual camera.

Plugging it into ethernet is a pretty east thing to try. You can try plugging it into a 802.3af or 802.3at compliant PoE switch or injector. There's a chance it will power on. As long as you use a 802.3at/af compliant switch or injector it's a safe test.

There's a good chance that it doesn't support PoE. In that case, removing it and looking at the model and power specs on a label you can't currently see would be the best option.

It looks like they had a speaker hooked to it not just a mic.

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera does support PoE but unfortunately, the NVR and switch I'll be using do not support it.

So I'm going to have to wire it to a 12v dc adapter but my question is what are the white and green wires for? The grey wire (in the image I've attached previously) has a red, black, white, and green wire. To wire the 12v dc adapter, I know I'll just wire the red and black wires with the red and black wires from the adapter, but what about the green and white wires? Do I just cap them or are those needed for something else?

Last edited:

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
Uh ohhh... So I went ahead and wired the 12v dc adapter (red & black wires) to the red & black wires coming from the camera and just capped the white and green wires. Well when I plugged it in nothing happened but roughly 5 - 10 seconds later there was a loud pop. I immediately disconnected it and haven't touched it since.

Did I completely screw it up or can I save it somehow? What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh ohhh... So I went ahead and wired the 12v dc adapter (red & black wires) to the red & black wires coming from the camera and just capped the white and green wires. Well when I plugged it in nothing happened but roughly 5 - 10 seconds later there was a loud pop. I immediately disconnected it and haven't touched it since.

Did I completely screw it up or can I save it somehow? What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance!
You did yourself a favor

BenQ204

n3wb
Reaction score
So I get the consensus is to toss it and buy a new one and do appreciate everyone's comments here, however I posted this to gain a better understanding of how it works and also what I did wrong. So although appreciated, "you did yourself a favor" is not what I came here for. I'd appreciate some actual constructive feedback here which is what I thought this forum had to offer.

So back to my issue I'm facing - what did I do wrong when wiring the 12v DC adapter (and is it salvageable) and what was the loud "pop" sound after I plugged it in? (Read 3 comments up for better description)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I get the consensus is to toss it and buy a new one and do appreciate everyone's comments here, however I posted this to gain a better understanding of how it works and also what I did wrong. So although appreciated, "you did yourself a favor" is not what I came here for. I'd appreciate some actual constructive feedback here which is what I thought this forum had to offer.

So back to my issue I'm facing - what did I do wrong when wiring the 12v DC adapter (and is it salvageable) and what was the loud "pop" sound after I plugged it in? (Read 3 comments up for better description)
HI @BenQ204

Sounds like a bust.. you can certainly open it up and see what fried.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The first test is to smell the circuit boards and see if it smells like a smoker, then look over all of the components to see if there are any burn marks. That may have been a pop from the speaker or mic, 12v usually doesn't burn things up. Try swapping the power wires to see if you had them hooked up backwards. I would also try using a continuity tester to find your power cables. Your negative and positive cables coming from the camera should be on the same circuit.