Install to other than c drive

George M

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to install Blue Iris. However I do not install programs on my OS drive (C). I do not see an option to install on other than C drive. Is it possible?

Thanks
George m

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using as a server or a computer you will use typically?

I have my BI installed on my C drive along with my OS and all my saved video files on my other drives. But that's all I have installed on that computer.

Win 7, Blue iris and Google remote desktop of C drive...

3TB WD Purple storing the video files

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should be dedicating a machine to BlueIris; not dual purposing your workstation..

and why dont you install programs on your OS drive? Thats pretty much the best place for them since its pretty much guaranteed to rely on files and libraries installed into the system.. if you loose your C-Drive your going to have to reinstall BlueIris again because it will put dependencies on the OS drive even if you get it to install to another.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should be dedicating a machine to BlueIris; not dual purposing your workstation..

and why dont you install programs on your OS drive? Thats pretty much the best place for them since its pretty much guaranteed to rely on files and libraries installed into the system.. if you loose your C-Drive your going to have to reinstall BlueIris again because it will put dependencies on the OS drive even if you get it to install to another.
+1 this

George M

n3wb
Reaction score
My load for BI is small - only 4 cameras. It will be on a computer that also runs some other video recordings (SageTV). As for not installing on my OS drive, it is just something I've always conformed to. If installed on D drive it can utilize files on C just as easily. I like the separation.

So no one really answered the question - can it be done?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My load for BI is small - only 4 cameras. It will be on a computer that also runs some other video recordings (SageTV). As for not installing on my OS drive, it is just something I've always conformed to. If installed on D drive it can utilize files on C just as easily. I like the separation.

So no one really answered the question - can it be done?
It can be done. For a short time before I had my dedicated machine I had BI installed on a separate drive from my SSD (my C drive at the time) on my daily machine when I was testing out BI. I'll look but i really don't think it was any different than installing any other program to another drive. Can you post a screen shot of the screen your on that it doesn't let you switch drives?

George M

n3wb
Reaction score
False Alarm.
I downloaded the program again. Rebooted and this time I had the option to install to another location.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
On servers you do it to keep the program from eating up all the space on the os drive, usually from log files or temp files and stuff, I don't think that will be an issue with blue iris

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk