Initial setup plan feedback

Sportbiker

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to advice over in Introductions I switched gears to focus on the security system before putting in cameras. From my past reading I've put this list together. The starter is to secure the exterior doors and door to garage, all ground-level windows that would be reasonably accessible and monitor just the ground floor motion. The ability to add on over time is nice with the setup and I appreciate guidance you've given others in the past since it informed these assets. FWIW, I have a two-story home with finished basement. Questions I have:
  • Do I really need 3 panels to start, or just one upstairs in the master and one in between the garage and front entries?
  • Can I power my panel from my existing server's UPS or do I have to have a separate one for the security system?
  • Do I need the higher power transformer in the case that the security system needs its own backup?

Asset​
Type​
Qty​
Control panel​
1​
EnvisaLink Duo​
IP & cellular​
1​
Honeywell 6160RF​
Keypad, program​
1​
Honeywell 6290W​
Keypad, LCD, prog​
1​
Honeywell 6150​
Keypad, basic​
1​
Honeywell 947-75T​
Steel door sensors​
3​
Honeywell 944T​
Wood door sensors​
1​
Honeywell 7939WG​
Window sensors​
8​
WBOX 0E-OUTDSIRS​
Siren, strobe​
1​
WBOX 0E-OUTDSIREN​
Siren​
1​
Honeywell DT8035​
Motion sensors​
2​
Wire​
1000​
Wire​
500​
Honeywell 1361-GT​
AC transformer​
1​

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Alarm panels are built to have their own backup battery installed inside them. Four or six amp hour, 12VDC, gel or sealed lead acid are the normal "goto" to provide that power. I have a significant amount of PIR sensors, glass break sensors and internal sirens that I power from a separate 12VDC power supply with a second back-up battery just to make sure there's lots of back-up power for extended power outages.

Sportbiker

n3wb
Reaction score
Alarm panels are built to have their own backup battery installed inside them. Four or six amp hour, 12VDC, gel or sealed lead acid are the normal "goto" to provide that power. I have a significant amount of PIR sensors, glass break sensors and internal sirens that I power from a separate 12VDC power supply with a second back-up battery just to make sure there's lots of back-up power for extended power outages.
Thanks. We literally never lose power here and I was hoping to maintain just one UPS but guess that's not gonna happen. Appreciate the sizing advice and reasoning too.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The alarm panel is 12VDC powered and doesn't really need a UPS if a battery is installed. In fact the panel relies on that battery to help handle the load of sirens in particular, even when the system is running on AC power. Without a battery I think the siren would not be powered in the event of an alarm as the panel protects itself from overload on the power supply.