Infra-red lights aren't working

Krentzer

n3wb
Reaction score
A few months ago one of my camera's stopped functioning properly at night. The night vision works in a dim room, but not outside in a very dark alley. The red LEDs are not turning on. I've tried using a different power supply but still no change. I've cleaned the lens & even went as far as removing it to rule out bounce back. Is this camera toast, or is there a component I could replace?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is log into the camera and check that the IR light is still turned on. Could try a factory reset, too. Component-wise, the only thing I'd tackle would be the photocell. I'm assuming a dahua camera, could obviously be wrong about that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the age of the camera, the IR could have simply died. At that point, unless you want to get in and take it apart and replace and deal with that, the option would be get an external IR installed next to the camera or upgrade the camera.

Krentzer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I bought this house 6 year's ago and the system and cameras were already installed. This system is made by Juan & 2016 is the date of the product. These cameras all switch to night vision automatically. I can't find anywhere in the software to change this option. I'll likely add an external IR or bite the bullet and replace the system. Local companies are saying that Juan has propitary rights and other cameras won't work on this system. I live in Canada. I'm surprised these cameras lasted 7 year's. We go from -30°C in the winter to 37°C in the summer. It died on a hot summer day.
But thanks for your help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah the LEDs could have certainly reached their life. They were probably rated for 30,000 hours and that sounds like a lot until you go thru the math LOL.