In need of indoor camera solution to monitor son's nocturnal seizures

Tinkgirl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I'm hoping someone can suggest a set-up to monitor my son's nocturnal seizures. He was just diagnosed this year. I've read that Wyze and Eufy are affordable indoor security cameras with night vision capability. I do not have Google Assistant or Google Nest. I have a Chromebook, an Android tablet, and a laptop. I would like a cost effective way to do the following: Record my son sleeping (record 9-12 hours of sleeping), alert me to movement, and allow live feed monitoring on a tablet or Chromebook or even a monitor sold by the camera's manufacturer. I don't want to have to fumble with an app on my phone or tablet in the middle of the night. I'd like to be able to look over at the monitor and see my son sleeping - like a baby monitor but with recording and motion alert features. I also need to be able to monitor sounds from the room. Ideally, I'd like to do this without a monthly service. If that's not possible, I would appreciate advice on the most cost-effective way to set up a monitoring system for what I need. What do I need to buy? Thank you so much.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

Does the camera need to operate on wifi? Because if this is going to be a long term thing then you would be much better off running a network cable and getting a quality camera like a Dahua Starlight. Or at least something from Dahua or Hikvision. This thing, even. I'm pretty sure it is made by Dahua and only rebranded by Amcrest. I wouldn't buy a wyze cam myself.

At the ultra-low-end for cost, you could probably rig something up using a wyze cam with RTSP firmware (or a Dahua/Hikvision/Amcrest camera as mentioned above) and use free recording software to run on your laptop. Here is a list of some free softwares you might try:

Milestone Xprotect Essential+ (XProtect® Essential+ | Free VMS | Milestone Systems)
Genius Vision
iSpy
ZoneMinder

I have little to no experience with either of these, just FYI. If it was me, I would just buy a Blue Iris license because I know it extremely well and I know it can do what you want. And much of the community here knows Blue Iris very well too, and would be able to answer any questions you have about the setup.

Also, you should be aware you probably will get a ton of false alarms with motion detection, so I'm not sure how much good that will really be.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 ^^ regarding Blue Iris and especially the Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841W-V3 .

The version 3 provides AI/auto tracking of moving objects. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $50 !

I've installed 4 of the similar non-V3 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 2 of them with Blue Iris; one on front porch to look at deliveries and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs, one of the 2 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $50, IMO.

EDIT #2 of 4/1/21: V3 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.