In law brownie points - Brand and model recommendation for home system please

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Good morning, thank you for your support thus far, it means a lot.

So, let me ask you what may be the most difficult question - I need two cameras to put at my entrance gate,

One to capture the license plate, and one to capture the car/any human who walks in.

The main road leading to the gate has no street lighting, so it is pretty dark.

As things stand - I do not have much lighting at the entrance gate, but that will change in due time.

Please can you help me understand what specs/type of casing I should look for to setup a good camera system at the entrance gate?

thank you so much, it means a lot

Oxonian

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Nayr,

Thank you for your help. Are you able to share the sources from where you get your hardware?

thanks,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already did on the previous page..

License Plate reading is a whole another ball game, I would suggest you get the rest of your cameras in place and then revisit the License Plate Camera, it requires a dedicated camera that wont capture anything but plates at night.. if you have any distance to cover its not an easy game to play and having some experience under your belt will better your chances of success.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank so you much nayr.

If you don't mind me asking, what should I look for the place around the home? and maybe in the stables?

I plan to put about 6 cameras around the outside of the house, i.e garage, patio, side walls.

I really appreciate your constant help, I hope I can reciprocate sometime.

thanks
Oxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look for any natural choke points, the goal of any video system is to get a good enough facial ID to aid in an investigation.. if you cant accomplish that then you have failed.

landscaping + human behavior, what paths will someone take.. can you lure them into a target area where they are liable to loiter for a few moments and get you multiple opportunities.. (ie front patio) thats where you want your cameras.

at night people tend to stay on the beaten path, dont want to trip over a garden hose or some shit with an arm full of someone elses property.. you have to put your self into an attack/defence mindset, sneak arround your property at night and put your self into the mind of someone up to no good.. see what looks attractive and how easy it would be to avoid some cameras that might be watching.. you want it so your high target areas are basically impossible to avoid the cameras and be seen, so at least if they come with masks you have a chance to catch em in the act.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't care about warranty and support and ok ordering from China on a slow boat with a chance of something going wrong then my top choices for outdoor cams:

Huisun 10x Mini PTZ v2 - Best bang overall with PTZ and 10x zoom (~$150)

Longse s500 5MP- (Best large sensor for the buck, excellent for night time)

Longse 2.8-12mm Auto zoom varifocal 2MP - (Zoom function allows for flexible placement and adjustment, surprisingly good for night time as well)

All these cams work with Hikvision (LTS) NVR which is also my preferred storage solution. You can search on the forum for discussion on this junk.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi klasipca,

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Do you know approximately how long it takes to receive these products from China?

In your experience, how durable are they? I mean, if they are going to last several years, but not decades, then I am ok with it.

Any suggestion on a NVR to go along with these?

Thank you!
theoxonian

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well, thank you for your replies. I am still trying to figure out which cameras I need.

I have a question. If I choose one of the models suggested by klasipca, can I mix them up with the LTR branded cameras?

So for example, can I have 6 LTR branded cameras, and 2 of them are huisun, can they all co-exist?

I have a broader question, why are Dahua and Hikvision so popular? What makes them different to the other thousands of brands out there?

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you so much,
theoxonian

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
They made really good solid cams in the past for low cost with excellent software/firmware which made them very popular. They still have really great firmware, but in terms of hardware they seem to be falling behind. Their most popular 2-line is very unimpressive with 4MP and now pointless 5MP... Increasing pixel size, but keeping the sensor size the same, also locked down their firmware, so you have to buy more expensive cams. Dahua, is playing a catch up game with Hikvision, they have some interesting offerings and doesn't lock down the firmware. I've tried both most popular cheap turrets from Hikvision/Dahua 4MP cams and they were disappointing for night viewing

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. This is a recommendation I received from the LTS vendor, any thoughts on whether this is adequate, or can I improve on it?

Front door/narrower areas: [FONT=&quot]turrets with EXIR [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CMIP1142W [/FONT][FONT=&quot]4mm, smaller angle, about 65 degree angle)

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-network-turret-camera-cmip1142w.html

Wider areas, such as the patio:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CMIP1142W-28 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2.8mm, wider angle around 95 degrees)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-network-turret-camera-cmip1142w-28.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I was thinking of getting these and maybe adding on the Huisun or Longse for the gate.

On a separate, yet related note, for the can I use an internal HD for the recording? I do not have a desktop, but maybe I can get an casing or something?

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I really appreciate your help. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Thank you so much,
theoxonian[/FONT]

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well, I have finally made some progress on the cameras, which would not have been possible without your help, especially @klasipca and @nayr

I have ordered 2 PTZ from Aliexpress - these are the 'Rotary Bullet PTZ Camera with Onvif 1080P MINI PTZ IP Camera 10X ZOOM IR 80M'

For the perimeter (outdoor) of the house, I am planning to get a mixture of the LTS turrets CMIP1142W 4mm and CMIP1142W-28 2.8mm.

As for the NVR, I am considering the recommendation by @klasipca which is the DS-7616NI-I2/16P English version 16ch NVR with 2 SATA and 16 POE ports
[h=1]http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bgBllPio[/h]Now, I am searching for recommendations for some cameras for the indoors. I want to place a camera in the garage, and some indoors in the shared spaces. Any recommendations on these please? Thank you so much, Oxonian

Last edited by a moderator:

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious...if you're getting the turrets through LTS why you are not get the PTZ's and DVR from them as well especially when your spending hundred of $'s. Did you request a price catalog from milkisbad?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Which PTZ they sell would be as good as Huisun PTZ in the same price range? NVR might make sense to get from them as last time i checked it was $50 + whatever shipping cost for I2/16p equivalent more then Ali.