Imx322 sensor size

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking around at different sensors. I've read the 322 is a 1/2.8" but the pdf I pulled from Sony says 1/2.9".

Anyone know why there are discrepancies about what size it really is? Surely there are not 2 different versions with the same name.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those numbers are not exact, a throwback to the size of the tube the sensor would fit in. Back then, sensors were mostly 4:3 and now we mostly have 16:9.

Plus sensors usually have an active array of sensors that is a subset of the total array of pixels.

The number is only useful when looking for lenses that have an image circle that fully covers the sensor. For example, a 1/2" lens will cover a 1/2" sensor and every sensor smaller than 1/2".

If you care about actual size (field of view calculations), use the "active area" dimensions of the sensor with the numbers off the datasheet.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
CamFan is right. Real world FOV of a camera only approximates the FOV that a lens calculator will show when using the published sensor size, but your real world FOV results won't necessarily match a smaller-than-published sensor size. As a real world "for instance", in my experience, the real world FOV of a Hik 3345-I with 6mm lens matches up to what IPVM's lens calculator shows that a 1/2.5" sensor would. That's really the only reason an end user would need to know what the precise sensor (or possibly lens?) size really is. If the exact FOV is important, ground truth a sample first and then verify it in the calculator before using the calculator to make important decisions for other mounting places.

I compare the actual mounted camera view to the overhead view in the IPVM calculator rather than the Google StreetView which is approximate. It's rather creepily good at the same time though. Apparently the StreetView car drove down my long driveway at work because I can place a camera just about anywhere at work and look at an old view of where everything was parked last fall.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I completely agree on FOV, lens, tube, image size/sensor coverage, so on and so forth.

I use sensor size as a general low light reference, but even that is not set in stone.

My original question is simply why do I see the imx322 advertised as 1/2.8" yet I found a pdf that says 1/2.9".

The reason behind me looking for more information is because I just ordered a cam with a 1/2.9" sony cmos. Upon asking which sensor they said imx322. From all the other advertised cams with the imx322 they advertise a 1/2.8" sony cmos.

Did something change with the cmos, a revision? Are there 2 different imx322? Or is it just false advertising?

Honestly I'm leaning towards a fudging of numbers for better advertising.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the real reason for the discrepancy.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Imx322 was released a few years back, I wouldn't be surprised if they phased it out