If NVR is primary storage, what is secondary?

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I disappoint myself more and more as I continue getting my Dahua NVR and camera up and running. I made the assumption that the Dahua cloud allowed for video streaming of “x” amount of video storage monthly with the old rewriting the new, paying “x” amount of dollars monthly for the storage you were taking up in the cloud.
It appears this is not the case. What’s my best alternative? Is there a third party service that provides true cloud uploading and storage (like iCloud for Apple products) from the NVR? Is this storage secure?
Are there better alternatives for secondary storage with the NVR being primary? Micro-SD cards in the cameras since they’re all capable? Thoughts?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish? Just a redundant location for files?

Most of us here do not send video to the cloud - too expensive, too insecure, and too much bandwidth needed.

Many of us will throw an SD card in the camera for that redundant option. Some NVRs can then pull from that in the event the NVR pooped out for a period of time.

And others here will store to a NAS.

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
Essentially redundancy in the event of stolen NVR, damaged hard drive, etc. I know the best method for a stolen NVR is concealment and retention, but in the event this fails, I’d like a back up.

Is going the NAS route a better long term solution than micro SD cards and having to replace them every few years? How do you connect the NAS to the NVR?